Sat nav

Bigdave1230

my sat nav has a white screen but all the key on the right had side. I purchased another disc thinking that it couldn't read the map information. When putting the new disc in the mmi says updating and has the % counting up then comes back on with the white screen. Having fiddled around in the manual position option it appears that my sat nav thinks I'm in Africa or somewhere similar so moving the position towards Europe shows my map. It will let you zoom in etc and has all the street names but when you press return it goes white again. Is there a way to tell it where you are to begin with? Could this be the gps antenna isn't working? If so does anybody know where it plugs in or if there is a module for it. The disc wasn't in when I purchased the vehicle as the dealer says they take them out and put them with the service books to stop them being stolen. Vagcom shows nothing related to the sat nav faulty. Cheers dave

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

It's strange how it's reading the data when you zoom in but blank when back to original view....wondering if it's not caching the memory due to some restrictions in the settings?

Here's some info on Q7 sat nav...not sure if there is anything useful in it

I've enabled the hidden green menu on the mmi and checked the nav section which says it's not receiving any satellites so believe it's going to be something to do with the shark fin antenna but have no idea where it plugs in or how to check it other than making sure it's plugged in

It does sound like a case of the latter....physically checking it's plugged in I would say.

Can't think how it could go faulty as it's only an aerial, unless it has some base loaded circuitry

Keep us updated

Cheers  Trevor

• 2 months later...

Had my car back to the garage I bought it from to sort the sat nav out under warranty. They had the car for a few weeks to sort a few other things at the same time. Picked the car up Tuesday and they say have replaced a part that cost £1100 and the sat nav works fine now. Drove home and noticed the sat nav screen showed me driving in the opposite direction and now that I'm home shows my current position as being 60 miles away from where I am. Does anybody know if they could of just connected some plugs in wrong or something simple like that. I can take it back to them but it's not local to me and can't take it to them for 3 weeks. My mates with Q7's don't know as they have never had a problem with their sat nav and can't get a wiring diagram for it anywhere

Thanks for the update Dave.

It could just be a case of running an update on the hardware or if maybe just takes a bit of time to update with the environment (which is unusual unless it's particuarly cloudy).

Other factors that can affect it are the use of Dash Cams.....had one for review recently and it caused huge interference with two different SatNavs I had running at the time. The high end Dash Cams have a choke which filters out interference. 

Don't have a dash cam but believe it's not picking satellites up. Going to check the connections but have looked at the antena on eBay and the wires are very short so don't go to the drive directly. I have removed the interior light underneath the fin and followed the cables but the connections are under the head liner so need to drop it to investigate further. My car has a panaramic sunroof and have been told the drain pipes can leak so will check with a borascope for signs of water. I put a new map disc in and updated the software when I got the car but I'm unsure how they managed to get the nav to know where it was when I collected it from them. I want to put it back on them to sort but the quality of some of the work they have done to it isn't the best and I don't want a "bodge" fix.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to sorting it out. Borrowed a mates borascope to check the wiring and if the drainage for the rear sunroof was leaking onto the connectors. All fine so bought a gps antenna with the correct connection off eBay for £3.50 and tested it. Now works fine. Slackened off the rear trim panel and fished the wire down so the small square antenna sticks to the rear window. Job done

• Like 1