Old fashioned car security devices.

May I ask what people think about the efficacy of steering wheel locks?

Are they the sort of thing that thieves manage to get around easily enough?  There are plenty of videos to help on YouTube. 

And is the visual element of it, a positive or a negative?

Thanks.

I would imagine that any deterrent is a good thing as most thieves will just move onto cars that are less secure.

I was contemplating a removable steering wheel boss for my MX5 but cannot be bothered with the agro of it all really.

34 minutes ago, Trevor said:

I would imagine that any deterrent is a good thing as most thieves will just move onto cars that are less secure.

I was contemplating a removable steering wheel boss for my MX5 but cannot be bothered with the agro of it all really.

I used to have a big yellow steering wheel thing but never really used it. I may still have it somewhere but have no idea where the keys are. I know there is a very easy and simple way to pick those locks, so it would probably only deter the amateurs.

• Like 1

The trick to car security and home security is to make it look as tough as possible for any thief or burglar. They will always go for soft targets so the hard you make it for them, then the less of a target you become. 

The harder the target the longer it takes for them to break in/steal. Crooks hate taking too long when committing a crime as it leaves them vulnerable to be caught. So anything to slow them down is a good thing

my uncle has a 2014 Vw Passat and still uses a steering lock :) 

• Like 1

Love the old fashioned bit!

I actually recall the days of pre steering locks and Krooklock - hooking the clutch pedal to the steering wheel to prevent the clutch pedal being depressed. 

I ran Morris 1000s for many years, after their production run time, and my favourite contribution to security was to fit a hidden switch in line with the electric fuel pump. This ensured the car could be found within a few hundred yards of where you parked it - having effectively run out of fuel! I frequently forgot to switch it back on, only to find the car almost coming to a standstill until I remembered to switch it back on. 

Not beyond the bounds of some thought to fit something similar and covert to today's vehicles?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Magnet said:

Love the old fashioned bit!

I actually recall the days of pre steering locks and Krooklock - hooking the clutch pedal to the steering wheel to prevent the clutch pedal being depressed. 

I ran Morris 1000s for many years, after their production run time, and my favourite contribution to security was to fit a hidden switch in line with the electric fuel pump. This ensured the car could be found within a few hundred yards of where you parked it - having effectively run out of fuel! I frequently forgot to switch it back on, only to find the car almost coming to a standstill until I remembered to switch it back on. 

Not beyond the bounds of some thought to fit something similar and covert to today's vehicles?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I'm more than a little ditzy and I'm sure I'd forget that type of thing too.  In the old days one could simply just take the rotor arm but I'm not sure I could even find / access that nowadays.

Edited by DerekR
I missed a word out.
  • Like 1

You would have to find a fitted distributor first Derek. Long gone I'm afraid and now you find coil packs - not to be confused with coil overs I guess.

Simplicity was not a bad thing and you could tinker with such mechanical contrivances rather than shoving an instrument up your computer plug hole! 

They even got from A to B. Amazing! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1