Service Interval Confusion

peterfoster

Called my local Audi dealership just now to book the first service under my service agreement. The car was purchased on 28.06.2016 and has covered 4500 miles. The service department asked me if a light had come up on the dashboard flagging the need for a service. I said that it hadn't but assumed the service was required after one year regardless of the mileage. I was informed that the car did not need to be serviced at this time and that I need do nothing until the dashboard service light came on. I asked when that would be bearing in mind that I am covering around 5000 miles a year. He didn't give me a precise response to my question. He just said that it would be "a combination of time and mileage covered."

So my question is this. If I continue to cover a mileage of around 5000 per annum at an even rate, given that the car was purchased as a new vehicle on June 28 2016, when is my service light likely to come on!

Thanks.

Hello Peter,

I'm sure others more up to date on this will come to your rescue with perhaps a more informative answer, but I too believe the true answer may be as vague as you have already received. If this car as being used on say a 12 to 15k mileage per annum then the service light might come up at about 15 to 18k. However, at your lower mileage, it's unlikely that you will get to that mileage before the light does come on, since the system is logging the distances travelled, average speeds, time etc. , so indeed it is difficult to predict, but perhaps around 18 months from the start - ? 

Personally, I believe you can trust VAG's technology to let you know when it's due, but it is that important to you then perhaps you can talk with your dealer and get this off the "longlife" service interval it is probably set on, and arrange to have it serviced say, annually.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum Peter :)

I would have to agree with Gareth on this one. Vag cars are normally now on long life servicing and as such require a service ever 20k or 2 years. 

As such I would wait until the car says it requires a service. 

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

Thanks. Since my post a message popped up on the display screen informing us that we should book the car in for an oil change "within 12 days." This has been done. The car was one year old yesterday and had covered 4,825....

4 hours ago, peterfoster said:

Thanks. Since my post a message popped up on the display screen informing us that we should book the car in for an oil change "within 12 days." This has been done. The car was one year old yesterday and had covered 4,825....

Glad you got sorted Peter :) 

when you get a chance feel free to post some pics of your a1 :) 

the a1 members are slim in here! 

Cheers

steve :)