A3 Glow plug light

Martyn85

Hi, just wondering if anybody has had the glow light plug flashing on them? Mine is coming on now quite often only when the engine is cold tho I have found. If driven ad warmed up doesn't seem to come on then after the ignition is turned off and back on. The particulate filter light came on a few days back but I've cleared that with a drive down the motorway. Is the problem connected? No loss in power and no limp mode. I'm going to try and get it plugged in when I finally get hold of my cousin lol! 

The glow plug only operates at low temperatures, less than 5 degrees I would guess, so you shouldn't see the warning light at all in summer. Quite what that means for you in terms of fault finding I know not, but I doubt it can be related to the particulate filter unless there is a more generalised electronic problem.

• Like 1

On All vehicles the glow plug light will only be seen for 1-5 seconds as a solid light on putting key into position 2, before starting. However, on VAG vehicles (and some others) to see it flashing is letting you know that there is a fault picked up by one of the many sensors. This could well have been indicating exhaust issues that you then had. If you see this happen again it will be worth getting the fault codes read to help diagnose any issues. Most common one is EGR valve.

Also noticed this morning that the car is idling a little lumpy and a fair bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Could this be related to the glow plug light to come on? Again still all ok when engine is up to temperature 

Finally got hold of my cousin today and we plugged the car in, had fault p3183 (variable intake manifold, switchover valve; regulation difference then underneath intermittent but we drove the car then it became permanent. Anyone know of what this problem could be? I bought the car with a 3 month warranty so going to take it back up there tomorrow just looking for some advice on what it could be? Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a update of the problem, dpf light came on and car went into limp mode. I had a three month warranty from the garage I bought the car from and took it to their dealer garage. The dpf was blocked 180% (so basically knackered) we went down the route of dpf removal and remap and all I can say is wow!!! Car is so much better and the power is crazy. All these problems came down to a blocked dpf so I am now one happy guy and the garage payed half for all the work and remap aswell so couldn't be happier