Audi & Ayrton Senna

Steve Q

Whilst doing research into Audis history I can across an unusual connection between Audi and Ayrton Senna. Let me explain...

Audi of Brazil was created on the 18th November 1993 when Senna signed a cooperation agreement with Audi AG. Through Senna's importation and sales business he would bring the Audi brand to the Brazilian nation for the first time. 

At the time of this agreement Senna was already a 3 time formula one world Champion. 

The inportation started in April 1994 with an event held at the Congonhas airport in São Paulo shortly after the Brazilian Grand Prix. The next day, Senna introduced the current Audi products to journalists at the Interlagos circuit. 

Senna naturally had his own Audi daily Driver which was a 1994 S4 avant C4. This model eouldnlater be rebadged as the s6. 

Sadly only after a month of operation Senna was sadly killed at Italy's Imola Autodrome circuit. 

Despite the sad loss of Senna the his brother continued the business that Senna started and by the end of 1994 1,474 Audis had been imported and in 1995 this figure rose to 3,072.

The cooperation agreement continued to grow along with sales and by 2005 a deal was struck between Senna's family and Audi AG where by the importation business was absorbed into the Audi group. 

Here's the link for more info: 

http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-driver/retrospective-ayrton-senna-his-ur-s4-avant-and-the-formation-of-audi-brazil/

(Pictures taken from google images)

hope you enjoyed reading this :) 

cheers

steve 

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great article you have put together Steve....I didn't know the tie-up between Senna and Audi and it's an aweful shame he was killed as I'm sure this would have been even more of a success and he would have been an awesome ambassador for the brand.

19 hours ago, Brad-B5 said:

Good, interesting read, nice one Steve :)

Thanks Trevor and Brad :) 

i didn't know the connection until I came across a small article. Then I I thought I'd just research it. It's amazing that he sowed the seeds for the brand to grow in Brazil and now they are one of the most popular vehicle brands in Brazil ;) 

• Like 1