Fan turning on?

Patrico777

Hi I got audi a3 tdi 2011 s line black edition recently I went to work and suddenly fans turned on to cool the engine down ??? What could be the problem I stand behind car and felt very hot air coming out from exhaust, makes me worried.now somewhere on internet I was reading its dpf regenerating it self ??? 

3 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Hi I got audi a3 tdi 2011 s line black edition recently I went to work and suddenly fans turned on to cool the engine down ??? What could be the problem I stand behind car and felt very hot air coming out from exhaust, makes me worried.now somewhere on internet I was reading its dpf regenerating it self ??? 

I'm assuming your a3 is diesel and you would be right. I would say it's the dpf regenerating itself :) 

the car puts the fans on to keep the engine cool whilst it burns off the particulates from the dpf. It burns off the particulates from the exhaust when the exhaust is hot :) 

hope iv helped :) 

cheers

Steve 

3 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I'm assuming your a3 is diesel and you would be right. I would say it's the dpf regenerating itself :) 

the car puts the fans on to keep the engine cool whilst it burns off the particulates from the dpf. It burns off the particulates from the exhaust when the exhaust is hot :) 

hope iv helped :) 

cheers

Steve 

I hope that ok that its doing it yes its diesel

3 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

Yeah suddenly turns on and so hot air from exhaust tip and both fans running 

Yep sounds like dpf regeneration to me. If the fan stays on constantly whilst driving then I would suggest there is an issue with thermostat but I'd see how it goes :) 

12 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Yep sounds like dpf regeneration to me. If the fan stays on constantly whilst driving then I would suggest there is an issue with thermostat but I'd see how it goes :) 

Im going to audi need cambelt change so will tell them to check the fan if its that regen of dpf or what

1 hour ago, Patrico777 said:

Im going to audi need cambelt change so will tell them to check the fan if its that regen of dpf or what

Sounds good :) they'll be able to tell you easily :) 

but as I say I believe it's just a regen, and I say this as I worked for a Volkswagen service department ;) 

8 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Sounds good :) they'll be able to tell you easily :) 

but as I say I believe it's just a regen, and I say this as I worked for a Volkswagen service department ;) 

Ah so good not worry about my dad got bmw 520d 2006 never had that ?? Is it only on newer cars ?this kind of regen?

2 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Ah so good not worry about my dad got bmw 520d 2006 never had that ?? Is it only on newer cars ?this kind of regen?

Yep, only new cars. Anything made 2009 and onwards. They had to have the dpf and egr from 2009 to comply with the new emissions regulations 

39 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Yep, only new cars. Anything made 2009 and onwards. They had to have the dpf and egr from 2009 to comply with the new emissions regulations 

Ah cool I have booked my self with audi for cambelt change £649 the showroom i bought car from happy to pay half so its not that bad told them about the fan to see diagnose and also about common rail sound if its that or something als so hopefully everything be ok on Thursday and I can enjoy my car

IMG_8650.JPG

On 18. 9. 2017 at 3:26 PM, Steve Q said:

Sounds good! :) 

Yeah All done cambelt water pump tensioners price £649 at audi after 6 hours, there is some pics of old belt it has VW logo on it means its since new ?

01A31032-35FA-4B5F-BACB-949CF3D1D41A.jpeg

23BA4781-12B7-48A8-8EB2-1F5CB27C2AC3.jpeg

Just now, Patrico777 said:

Yeah All done cambelt water pump tensioners price £649 at audi after 6 hours, there is some pics of old belt it has VW logo on it means its since new ?

01A31032-35FA-4B5F-BACB-949CF3D1D41A.jpeg

23BA4781-12B7-48A8-8EB2-1F5CB27C2AC3.jpeg

Glad it's all sorted :) 

yes I would suspect that was the original belt to be honest. Now you can start modding it! ;) 

11 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Glad it's all sorted :) 

yes I would suspect that was the original belt to be honest. Now you can start modding it! ;) 

Yess so happy gived it some beans on way home finally, only issue still worried me that noise when revving engine everyone says common rail engine sound

7 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Well Audi should have done a free health check when they did the cambelt and waterpump. If they have said there is nothing to worry about then I think you'll be fine :) 

They said all is fine also changed coolant for free 👌

9 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Well I'd say there is nothing to worry about ;) 

Im !Removed! off ! Dash showed this sign just now car was very laggy then restart engine went off again back to normal? 

2115D65F-2EF7-4253-9292-0F28BF796951.jpeg

Not surprised your annoyed to be honest. 

Hmm, this could be an issue with a coil pack, glow plug or injector but your best bet would be to get the car plugged in for a diagnostic check. 

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Cheers

Steve

• Sad 1