oil pressure light

alan taylor

Hi,

i have an Audi 80 2.3 1993 cabriolet, the oil pressure light comes on intermittently, i have replaced both oil pressure switches, flushed the engine through changed filter and oil but the oil light still comes on for a few seconds and then goes off the most likely time this happens is after pulling away from a roundabout the light sometimes comes on, the engine is running perfectly, the oil pressure guage operates fine, any ideas thanks Alan

Hello Alan,

It seems you have done everything reasonable to try to eliminate this issue, and the problem could - but only could - be wiring or connection associated. I think it's wise to be concerned until a correct diagnosis has been carried out.

You mention an oil pressure gauge, and of course, this should give you confidence that despite an occasional low pressure light, the oil pressure is indeed OK. Belt and bracers this may be, but I wonder if the gauge is electronic (I would think it is) rather than a "genuine" pressure measuring gauge, and my advice would be to get the operating oil pressure actually checked after a 10 mile run - (no shorter than that) to ensure the pressure is indeed as good as the gauge indicates it is.

Once you have had this done, it might well be worth half a day out with a good auto electrician - who should be able to locate the light fault for you.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Not to sound like a daft question but have you had the sump off? Is the baffle plate present? Should look something like this:

image.png.a0a7bfaaef677ab91d162549ced1e998.png

It just sound to me like the oil pickup is being starved accelerating off roundabout's!

Well Robin, sump off may be one way to go - eventually- but any form of tearing things apart before establishing the facts can be a little destructive, and sometimes unnecessary and expensive. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Well Robin, sump off may be one way to go - eventually- but any form of tearing things apart before establishing the facts can be a little destructive, and sometimes unnecessary and expensive. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I wasn't sudgesting to take the sump off yet was just asking if that had already been explored or if it had been off previously if it could be recalled if it was there (not unheard of for these to be missed).

@Alan, 

Does it usually occure when you corner one way rather than the other. This info may help determine if it could be an issue with the pickup/baffle?