water in the tailgate???

Matt 2134

Second post in a week, thanks for all the advice first time.

My A7 has a strange issue - I have just noticed the sound of fluid moving up and down inside the tailgate when it raises and lowers - it appears to be on the right arm of the tailgate as you look at it from the back of the car - it is really disconcerting!

I did have a removable tow bar fitted to the car when I bought it just to put a bike carrier on, and I think they had to dismount the rear right light cluster, but I can't see easily how this could have caused it, and the car is generally in absolute perfect condition with no damage or adverse history I can see.  It didn't do it when I bought it a few months ago I don't think, but then it was the summer!

Has anyone seen anything similar before?  Everything looks flush and tight, and it sounds like a decent amount of fluid moving around.

Many thanks

Mat

Hi Matt, 

Usually water in.the boot often can be linked back to a number of things. 

1. Light seals have failed letting water in.

2. Boot seal has failed a d is letting water in.

3. Sunroof (if fitted) channels for drainage are blocked. 

Obviously the water then builds up in the wheel well. 

Unsure on any other causes to be honest. Unless your car has been involved in a rear end collision and has been incorrectly repaired. 

Please keep.us posted :) 

Sorry I can't help more. 

Cheers :) 

Steve 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve - sorry I if havent been clear - the water isn't in the boot - it is in the actual tailgate itself, in the right hand 'upright' at the side of the rear screen - you hear it move up and down as the tail gate is raised and lowered!

1 hour ago, Matt 2134 said:

Hi Steve - sorry I if havent been clear - the water isn't in the boot - it is in the actual tailgate itself, in the right hand 'upright' at the side of the rear screen - you hear it move up and down as the tail gate is raised and lowered!

Oo ok, sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick! 

That's even weirder then! I'm assuming you've checked the rear window seal? 

Cheers

Steve