Mixing tyres

Justin Hartwell

Hi all, have posted on here a little while ago with the thought to changing my Michelin pilot sport 3 tyres as the rears are just legal while the front still have a good bit of meat left on them. A friend bought his Q7 which has acceler Lora tyres, same spec as mine and whilst I was concerned about the performance and reviews, upon driving his truck, the tyres seems spot on, good braking and just as quiet as my rather more expensive tyre set up. Pilots are around £250 each and his are around £ 122 each.

my thoughts are to purchase two part worn pilots for the back to level all four up until needing replacements, buy 2 accelra for the back, is this ok as although matching along with the fronts matching pilots, I could just replace all four with accelera tyres for £500 all in. Seems a waste of the existing front tread levels

im not an expert in this field of tyres and wondered what you guys and gals would do in this situation. Your thoughts would be well received

Hello Justin,

Not sure if this is going to help, but I do have some years of experience of Accelera tyres on non- Audi vehicles. No doubt you are aware that they are budget tyres, and I think the reason your friend has them on his vehicle is in the "A friend bought his Q7...." and the seller (car sales site?) fitted them for the same reason you are considering fitting them on your car - they are much cheaper. 

As budget tyres go, I do indeed favour Accelera over other budget brands, but budget they are, and my experience is that generally wear/£ costs you as much in the long run as if you had bought more expensive premium brands, and of course, the main consideration in all of this is extends to spending your money to get the best combination of wear and great respect to wet and dry grip etc.

In my experience you generally get what you pay forJustin, and yes, Accelera (and other budget tyres) look ( should that be LOOK) equally as good as any other brand, but...

. In the end it must work out as your choice, but it may be worth thinking why Michelin Pilots cost twice the price of Accelera, but in the long run, do the Accelera work out cheaper? 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I always think cheap is expensive :) but having bought budget tyres myself for my a6 quattro 6month ago i cannot see any drawback yet, they are quiet , same on mpg , i have not noticed any wear yet.

I run 255/35 19" and there was over £600 price diffrence for a set of 4.

Mixing tyres is ok in pairs ( front or rear) as long as you keep the same spec :  size , load, etc 

Thank you guys, I understand what you are saying, £250 a corner seems steep after driving virtually the same car with £122 pound a corner and not felt any different. The truck only used for pottering about with dog and longer journeys every other weekends and 2 trips to France for which currently drives superbly as you would expect. I have also tried to adopt the same tyre as the car came with for some reason 

Just be careful if you get part worns. They will need almost the exact wear or in other words same amount of tread left. If you put differing tyres on it can contribute to ill handling whilst cornering, especially in the wet.

Each to their own on budget vs 'better brand. But always do pairsie front or rear axle on a 4x4. Shouldn't matter then if you use different brands.

I am a big fan of Uniroyal rain sport 3 tyres. Have them on the A6,T5 and partners Mazda 3. I will be using them on the hill climbing car (if I get chance to do it) too as the grip is so good. Currently on 24k on the set of 4 on the T5 right now with 4mm left :-) great value for money vs budget in my book.