Audi A2 Winter Project

Lightsout79

So today I purchased a 2001 Audi A2 1.4TDI,

Had a quick look over the car and tried to start it but battery completely flat and could even see the dash lights, so went to pop the bonnet and was shown that the bonnet actually lifts of , I liked that ;)

Then found that the battery is actually in the boot but could'nt pop it as battery was dead so we took the jump leads in threw the rear window connected then gave it a minute tried to start it and it did turn over very slowly, I noticed the glow plug light went out very quickly , but the car did not start, it was if even with the jump leads on and my car running the battery was still showing like a very low voltage battery, which surprised me as I thought it would turn over a lot quicker using my battery.

Or is it the case that I would need to remove the battery and charge it overnight on a trickle charge and try again ?

A2 Pic 1.jpg

Nice to see you.out a build thread up.janesv:) 

I'd remove the battery to see if that improves it's charging, however I'd say the battery is probably caput if the cars been sat a while. 

Cheers

Steve 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the battery on the car was the original and over 16 years old !

I removed the battery and charged it overnight at work, tried it on the car and it turned over but did not start then after a while the battery started losing its power, so I stuck the jump leads and first turn of the key the little A2 fired up :)

Problem now with the brakes seized on and I have managed to free all but nearside rear hub , so ill have to whip off the wheel next time I am down and free that one, still not managed to get the car home yet for that reason , plus I still have to do a temp repair on the exhaust.

There is also a complete A2 forum if anyone is interested , lots of enthusiasts and advice readily available for all technical queries.

http://www.a2oc.net/

• 2 weeks later...

I freed the wheel today , just removed the wheel and gave the drum a good knock with a hammer and it started moving.

Also removed a section of the exhaust which had broken off at the front catalyst/silencer and had been scraping on the road with the previous owner so this part is completely shot and worn threw, at the back end there was a joiner onto the rear silencer which I cut off as it was rusted solid.

I started the car and moved it around a bit, during this I found that there is no power steering ? and also the front wiper moves a bit then stops ?

Also found the nearside rear spring to be broken.

I am planning on getting it back to my workshop either this weekend or sometime next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

At least it starts :) 

Keep us posted on how you get on, but sounds like you've got a good winter project :) power steering wise, is it making any whining noises? Or no noise at all? It could be the pump that's gone. 

Cheers

Steve 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:53 PM, Steve Q said:

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

At least it starts :) 

Keep us posted on how you get on, but sounds like you've got a good winter project :) power steering wise, is it making any whining noises? Or no noise at all? It could be the pump that's gone. 

Cheers

Steve 

Sorry for the late reply, I now have the car home at my workshop.

No noises from the power steering , but after removing the headlamp I found the power steering reservoir was completely empty , so I am thinking it must be the seals on the steering rack.

Yesterday I replaced a coil spring on the back and also fixed a condensated headlamp by boring a couple of 6 mm holes on the bottom of the light to allow the moisture out and dried it next to my boiler last night and this morning its completely clear :)