Retro fit DVD headrests

Foz

Hi all,

Ive bought my first Audi, a 2007 Q7 S Line, a really nice car.

Im looking at maybe fitting DVD headrests for the kids as the car currently doesnt have them in.

Do you know if there is wiring etc currently in the seats you can simply buy an aftermarket headrest and connect it up or would this be something id have to wire in direct from the headrest to the dash?

Im also thinking of retrofitting a reversing camera, again is this an easy option to do afterwards and would the wiring for the camera already be in the car and its a case of just fitting and connecting?

Im guessing that would be far too easy so probably not!

Many thanks,

Foz.

As Piotr has said.its a pain to retro fit them. The wiring won't be there and as such, to install them the interior needs to come out and you'll need different headrests and seat backs. 

Hi Foz I have after market DVD players in both front seat headrests. They come with wireless headphones and can play individually or the same film on both and play the sound through the radio. They were about £200 to buy and was going to fit them myself but the company I got them off only wanted £50 To fit them. We went to look at a few Q7’s at a place in Oldham called S Cars and all there cars had them in so my wife asked if we bought a car else where would they fit them in it. They were really helpful and gave us the number of the place in Oldham that fits them for them. If you look on eBay at some of there Q7’s you can see what they look like. They come with a zip on cover so can be covered over to just look like the original head rest. 

Hi all, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Bigdave, how did they connect the headsets to power? Just use the cigarette charger sockets or hard wire them in?

Thanks again all!

Foz.

I’m don’t think it is as the power is cut when the ignition is off. I think it is ran from the fuse box on the drivers side and runs behind the dash and down the centre console. The leather gaitor on the Gear selector comes off to reveal a space to run a cable. If I get chance tonight I’ll have a look and see how they connected them

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry been busy and not got around to checking until now. The power and earth run from the drivers side fuse box behind the dashboard through the transmission tunnel under the Gear selector to the side of seat runner. Then up behind the seat liner (the plastic seat backs are held on with clips so are quite easy to come off)  and the wires run up the headrest tube so nothing is seen. The wires that link the dvds run the same way and run into the transmission tunnel behind the rear heating vents. None of the trim or plastics have been cut in anyway and there are no visible wires showing. Sorry I can’t post anymore pictures on here anymore.