Alternator

Rocprof

Morning all :thumbsup:

Just a quick one peeps does anyone know what alternator fits the 2001 (Y reg) 4.2 A6 Quatrro as I have a funny feeling mine might well be saying its last farewell lol 

Hello Andrew,

Sorry to hear of your believed alternator issue. If it were mine I would be getting a simple test done on this and the charging system in general, by an auto electrician - should be quite cheap- before deciding to replace the alternator. Alternators are generally long lived and issues can very often be corrected economically by replacing some of the components rather than fitting an exchange unit. 

I'm judging you will be looking for a secondhand comparable replacement, which is one option, but I have often said that as far as secondhand units are concerned you have to remember "you could be buying your own (faulty) one" , so it's probably better to get your own fixed if it is indeed at fault. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Good evening Magnet

Firstly many thanks for the reply and I have looked into a new unit which comes in at about £350 so not to bad I suppose for a critcal part. I have had the unit tested and it shows a B-terminal fault which if memory serves me is the connection on the alternator side. I am just as a precation going to change the belt as that in itself is looking glazed after which I will run her for a couple of days then take a decision from there :thumbsup:

Hello Andrew, 

I could be wrong, but I wonder whether the test you had done was by a qualified auto electrician rather than a dab-a-meter-on-it mechanic. An auto elect. should have been able to have a good stab at actually identifying the problem such as a diode, regulator etc. and judging by the c£300 alternative, i would  consider the anticipated cost of sorting yours out would make this an economical route. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.