Hello from the Cairngorms!

pauljm

Hi all, new Audi on its way Q2 quattro 2.0tdi and wondering about winter tyre / wheel combos? It comes with 19" rims and ridiculous 40 section tyres, but ideally I would like a second set of wheels for winter with a smaller diameter rim and taller tyres. Thinking of going from 235/40 r19 8j to a 215/60 r16 6.5j. Will this work? 

Welcome to the forum Paul :) 

You'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Congratulations on being our first Q2 member!! :) 

Can't really recommend winter tyres to you as I've never used them, sorry. 

Cheers

Steve 

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

just traveling through the Cairngorms now!! (I am not actually driving though but being driven lol).

There are a few ways at looking at winter driving up here, I have several and in the past owned several front wheel drive cars and have always fitted winter tyres. I have tried several brands but cannot recommend enough Michelin Alpins. The grip they have is just second to none. Plus I constantly get above 25k out of a set.

However, on my Quattro I only have normal tyres (Uniroyal Rain sport III's). Again I can't recommend these enough, have them on my T5 and the girlfriends sporty Maxzda 3. I have found that these are good enough for me for grip with the Quattro in all conditions. BUT, under braking this is where they are not quite as good as the winters. However, what is more important is keeping the same brand of tyres on the front two wheels and the same on the back two, even better if all 4 are the same brand. The 4x4 sensors behave them selves much better!! More traction. I hope that all makes sense.

in summary, stick to same brands at any one time if you can.

Decide on a winter tyre and then see if it is available in the wheel size you are considering. Smaller the better really. The Alpins BTW are available for the size you have suggested. I am sure I had them fitted to some 19's I had on a Sporty Insignia I had a short while back.

Sorry, for the 16's you have many choices of winters. BF Goodrich are a very good brand.BUT I think the wheels themselves will be too small for your callipers, i.e. Not going to actually clear them when you try to put the wheel on. I would look at 17's or  even better18's mate to be safe!!

As the base level Q2 has 215/60 R16's I'm assuming a winter of wheels will fit over the brakes regardless of the fact my new one has 235/40 on R19's? Can't see anywhere that the brake discs are bigger on the 2.0tdi Quattro.