Battery replacement on Q7

Shippers

My 2013 3.0 TDI is being a little sluggish when starting, and it's that time of year when poor batteries get found out with the cold mornings, so I think it's time for battery replacement before I get a none starter.

I have had a quick look for replacement battery and get the impression you need to code the battery to the car using a BEM number from the battery, other wise you may kill the new battery after a couple of months. Is this really right? So it makes it a job I can't do as I don't have the plug in bit to do this.

Has anyone just fitted a battery and it's been fine? What is the Ah rating of a standard battery supplied with the car, i.e. if I buy same Ah rating can I get away without coding?

Thoughts/advice appreciated.......?

Hi Mat

There is an interesting post in the thread underneath yours about how to access and replace the battery on a Q7.

As for coding, it would be necessary to recode the battery to the vehicle so that the system knows the capacity and voltage levels, etc for the alternator loading.

If you are taking the vehicle into a battery replacement centre then they should be able to carry out this coding, but check first.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

Well my current battery is still just about hanging In, just when it's cold it is slow to crank.

I've always replaced my own batteries on my previous cars which never more than £100, local autolec bit of banter and get a good deal (normally upgrade to heavier duty one).

The under the seat looks a bit of a faff but no great shakes, I think I have even found a battery on eBay that is the right spec,

Varta G14 type 019 for £180 next day.

Or 

Hanko battery which says is same spec quality as G14 and listed £140 delivered. (Not sure if this has BEM code)

So it's just getting it coded, can imagine Audi would want £300 plus for complete job and have looked on RAC website which appear not to offer battery replacement for Q7. 

Maybe I check my current battery ratings and buy like for like? 

Or I got to my local private garage and get them to plug in and code, guessing half he labour at about £40 ish????

I put a new battery on my 60 reg Q7 3.0 TDI, I put jump leads from the new battery to the car battery terminals leads before I disconnected and removed them from the old battery, I then lifted in the new battery with the jump leads still connected and then carefully connected the car leads to the battery trying to keep the connection as I removed the jump leads. Everything works fine and the battery is still ok 2 years on   

I changed the battery on my current and previous Q7 and only coded this one in because it was acting sluggish to turn over everyone and then. But that turned out to be an engine earth. The last one was fine without coding in and have been told that the coding only has relevance for the power management control which turns the radio off etc if the cars not running if it thinks it will drain the battery past the not starting point. If you are getting it coded it takes 2 minutes if they know what they are doing but ask them to enable the green screen on the mmi at the same time as this will allow you to enter the hidden menu and allow importing of cds into the jukebox.

Hi, I replaced my battery 3 months ago, I didn't reprogram I just made sure I got the correct battery in the first place which if u give your reg most places can find out for u, then just make sure u connect another battery by jump leads to ur jacking points under the hood when u take the battery out so nothing looses it' memory. The battery is quite fiddly to get out not much space to manover it but it does eventually give! My Q7 3.0 tdi 2007 has been fine ever since. Hope this helps but is up to u in the end which u feel is safest bet.