SAFE on the dashboard.

Vicrolax

I have a 2010 Audi Q7 with under 80K miles. There is a SAFE sign on the dashboard that caused the speedo light, fuel gauge and temperature light to go off. Everything else is working fine except for these lights that I mentioned above. The car itself drives well and I’m wondering if anyone can help with this. Please see the attachement. 68563DD1-8C53-4C5B-87C0-058CAA9600B0.thumb.jpeg.c782ff23b5cb903f6f28e75b963a5808.jpeg

Interesting this one, I have had SAFE in the dash of my VW van for over 2 years and 120,000 miles. It has never caused a problem yet. The only thing I ever found out about SAFE mode is that the programming between the key and the immobiliser is not in sync. So to like the key is the correct key in physicality to operate the the ignition but not programmed to the vehicle electronically.

The advice I was given was to lock the vehicle manually rather than by the remote. Then unlock the drivers door manually. Start the engine. Stop the engine. Get out and lock via the remote. Then undo by remote and start the car and SAFE mode will have gone. But it didn't work for me!?!

i would really appreciate it if you update any progress you have with this issue.

Dan

I tried that too without any luck. The funniest thing is that the car drives well with the SAFE mode on. I might have to visit the dealer with this one. I will definitely update here with any update. 

Best is to get a scan to see what the fault is . Also try this but there is a chance the issue will come back 

"1. Disconnect battery & connect leads with a jumper wire. Wait 5-10 minutes.

2. Reconnect battery, place key in ignition & initiate reprogramming sequence.

3. Sequence = turn key to "ON" position only, wait 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.

* I also pressed the unlock buttons, both on the fob while in the ignition & the door button.

Held each for 5-10 seconds while key was "ON", both individually & together during each "on-off" sequence."

This will restore the vehicle to factory settings. I will try this, it might clear the safe on the dashboard. I called AA when issue first occured and the mechanic said restoring the vehicle to factory settings my help clear the error. However he couldn’t embark on this because of the time it will take as the battery is underneath the passenger front seat. 

Thanks for that comment niedzial1983

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

My Q7 is currently with Audi. They called me few days ago and said the dashboard cluster is faulty. We are now waiting for a new cluster to comes in. 

Regard, Victor. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Last Month, Audi concluded that I have to change the the full cluster. However, when they gave me an estimate of 2.5K to 3K, I had to back out. I eventually paid for the scanning and the full vehicle check that was carried out which cost me about £330.

Last week, I took my car to a nearby garage to help me disconnect the battery and reconnect it back after 30 minutes. I was so happy to say this exercise cleared the SAFE on my dashboard. I'm a happy bunny :)

Victor.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I have just had the same problem with my Audi A5 just hit 85k on the clock. Phoned aa out and the battery was reset and now is back to full working order. I asked why it happened eh just a wee blip in the system.