Audi TT - 2.0L or 1.8L?

fraserrg

Hi all, 

I am looking to buy a new car. Very interested in the audi TT and would like some opinions. 

As im only 20 the insurance is relatively high. The 2.0 tfsi is coming in around 1600 without a black box (WILL NOT GO NEAR ONE) whereas the 1.8 version thats 0.9 seconds slower and has like 10mph less top speed (dont really care about top speed) is coming in at £1260. So the question is: is it worth the extra money for the sake of 0.9 seconds quicker 0-60? Does the car transform with that extra torque and HP? 

Let me know. Thanks alo

Hi Fraser,

I think you have answered your own question. If you aren’t bothered by the slight lack of performance but would rather have cheaper insurance then the 1.8 would be the best choice.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeeringtowser said:

Hi Fraser,

I think you have answered your own question. If you aren’t bothered by the slight lack of performance but would rather have cheaper insurance then the 1.8 would be the best choice.

Regards

Chris

I said i didn't care about top speed as Im never going to go near that. Only thing putting me off the 1.8 as its only 37bhp more than current car just doesnt seem like much of an upgrade

1 minute ago, Jeeringtowser said:

The 2.0 TFSI is a nice car to drive, 200bhp gives that extra bit of performance.

Can you test drive them back to back anywhere?

Regards

Chris

HI chris, 

Unfortunately not as I'm only 20 I cant test drive.... bit of a pain. Could always get my old man to come with me and try them out. 

I currently drive a fiesta - heres the fiesta stats compared to the audi stats. 

Fiesta 1L 140ps zetec

Power    138 bhp
Top Speed    125 mph
0-60 mph    8.7 secs
Torque    210 Nm, 155 ft-lb
CO2 Emissions    104 g/km
Euro Emissions Standard    6
Miles Per Tank    572 miles                                                                                                                                                                                           Insurance Group 18

1.8TFSI 

Power    177 bhp
Top Speed    149 mph
0-60 mph    6.7 secs
Torque    250 Nm, 184 ft-lb
CO2 Emissions    138 g/km
Miles Per Tank    517 miles                                                                                                                                                                                           Insurance Group   33

2.0 TFSI 

Power    226 bhp
Top Speed    155 mph
0-60 mph    5.8 secs
Torque    370 Nm, 273 ft-lb
CO2 Emissions    141 g/km
Miles Per Tank    505 miles                                                                                                                                                                                           Insurance Group 36

Have to agree the TT (even in 1.8 form) is night and day better than the fiesta! 

Getting your dad to test drive is a good idea. One other key thing to consider is what spec you'd like? This may determine the availability of a particular engine. If that makes sense. You'd be more likely to get a nicer spec 2.0 than a 1.8 as a general rule, I'd say. 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Have to agree the TT (even in 1.8 form) is night and day better than the fiesta! 

Getting your dad to test drive is a good idea. One other key thing to consider is what spec you'd like? This may determine the availability of a particular engine. If that makes sense. You'd be more likely to get a nicer spec 2.0 than a 1.8 as a general rule, I'd say. 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

Both come with S-Line. Would like NAV which can come with both. 

Seems like the 1.8 is the more popular one by the looks of things

I am sure that anything I am going to say is only going to cloud an already clouded debate, but just for no other reason than for me to try to get my head around the economics and real time meaning of all of this, could I ask the following questions:-

On the road prices of the two cars under debate, so that I can work out the actual % additional insurance on cost we are talking about here to convince myself we arn't talking about three quarters of Porthcawl! 

Are we expected to be really wrapped up in (theoretical?) figures on paper, and are we seriously talking about the importance of 0.1 of a second necessary to accelerate to 60mph? How often during a day is this performance going to used, how is 0.1 secs. going to be measured, and when it is measured, what is anyone going to do with this additional time!? 

I think that if am trying to say anything at all Chris, it's absorb the extra insurance on cost (which I'm sure in real terms is minimal), buy yourself the extra 0.1secs, since my impression is that you will be disappointed with anything else.

Having said that, I'm sure that whatever you choose, it will be the envy of all your mates, and should attract the fair !Removed! at a rate of knots faster than your 0 -60 time. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. This is very much age-showing, but from the text book of experience:- In my youth, most of use were trying to espire to a sorts car to impress the ladies. One of us though chose an Austin Maxi. ( you will need to look it up unless you are of a certain age of maturity!). Guess who grabbed the ladies - the Maxi owner since that car's seating could be converted into a 6 ft. 10inch bed! Life is strange isn't it ? 

End of the day m8 your 20 and if it was me i would go with what i can realistically afford to run like you say top speed is not an issue for you so buy what you can afford to run and enjoy your car :yes: 

• Like 2