Anyone have problems getting their demister working?

SeanQ87

Does anyone else here some to have problems getting their windscreen demister working? :P I have to sit with a clothe and wipe it myself every 5 seconds! It is brutal lol. :P

The aircon button always has the redlight on on it, even when i press it, the light stays on. :P Not sure if the aircon is working when its on or the inside of the car is just cold because of the weather. :P The car is always cold as the demister and the heaters only blow out little amount of air with hardly no power. :P  Every couple of days i get an hour or so with it working great, but then it goes back to being rubbish again lol. :P  When im out in the car im always cold and also having to use a squedgie and/or a sponge every 5 seconds on the windscreen so i can see the road in front of me. :P

7 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

Red light on econ button means the aircon is off. Sounds like the is an issue. Take it to an aircon sperialist for a regas and see if its working 

So when their is no light, that means the air con is on?  Could this be effecting y my demister and heaters is working correctly? What is a "regas"?

Yes . No light aircon is working . Air con in the car need gas , freon . Similiar to the fridge lol. 

With time and If there is a leak the gas escapes causing the aircon to not work. So the gas needs to be replenished from time to time.

Ans yes having aircon on helps a lot with mist on windows 

Hello Sean,

OK, so it seems the air conditioning isn't working, but when was the cabin filter last changed?

Check and attend to the simple things first, and that would be my first port of call. If it's dirty and damp, it's going to aggravate/ cause your problems. It sometimes lives up under the passenger footwell or sometimes high on the bulkhead under the bonnet. You would need to check where it is. 

As an aside, have you checked to see if any of the carpet is damp?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

8 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

Yes . No light aircon is working . Air con in the car need gas , freon . Similiar to the fridge lol. 

With time and If there is a leak the gas escapes causing the aircon to not work. So the gas needs to be replenished from time to time.

Ans yes having aircon on helps a lot with mist on windows 

That weird lol, in my mind i would have thought the light means it is turned on and no light means it would be off, ok i understand the light now lol. :D

Cool, i will take it to somewhere and ask the to check if the aircon needs regased. :P

So the aircon helps the demister, but if the aircon stops working all together, will the demister stop alltogether too?  or  Can the demister still work with aircon not working, just not as good?

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Sean,

OK, so it seems the air conditioning isn't working, but when was the cabin filter last changed?

Check and attend to the simple things first, and that would be my first port of call. If it's dirty and damp, it's going to aggravate/ cause your problems. It sometimes lives up under the passenger footwell or sometimes high on the bulkhead under the bonnet. You would need to check where it is. 

As an aside, have you checked to see if any of the carpet is damp?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I have never changed the cabin filter, so that will probably need changed? How often should it be changed?

I havent got a clue what the cabin filter looks like lol so ill take it to someone who will and ask them to find and check it for me and tell me what its like.

The whole inside of the car is wet lol, my dash, doors, etc.. is all wet from the constant condensation building up all the time. :P All the surfaces in the car are cold all the time because i there is no heat in the car when its parked and also when im driving it.  The power of the fan goes up to 12, there is no way im getting anymore than a 1 or 2 power on the fan. The demister demists the smallest wee patch in the centre bottom of the windscreen.

Econ means econimic air con = no aircon :) so then the light is on then its off. The worry is why when you press the button the light is still on. Needs to be checked out by a garage 

Gareth makes a good point. Drains cloggle up cuaing standing water under the wipers panel that can contribute 

Pollen filter change , i change mine every year as its cheap 

• Like 1

That video was great, im gonna go to halfords tomorrow and buy the filter and change it. :D Thanks. :D  I shall still check if it need a regas from some aswell tho. :D

btw.. See the red aircon light statying on and the aircon not working / turning on and it needing either regased or something done to fix it... Is that something most if not all garages can do? or do i need to search down certain ones that deal with aircon in cars?

Could an electrical problem cause it to not work? As the following electrical things keep happening lol

• Front passenger window only goes down but not up from the driver side button, but goes up and down fine from the passenger side button.
  • Driver window goes all the way down before going up even if the window is nearly all the way up anyways, it still needs to go full down before going up.
  • Windows no longer go up when holding the buttons on the car's key.
  • Electric handbrakes goes on but most of the time does go off again. (so now i just turn the engine off and stay in get encase i get stuff with the handbrake on like i have been many times before)
  • I get errors sometimes telling me certain lights are out, but the lights are all working fine.
  • 1 of my lighter sockets dont work.

and there is more lol, just cant think of them right now lol.

Wat kind of scan? or will i just say "check the aircon as its not working and scan for faults" and he will know what i mean? lol :P  Sorry for all the questions :P

Thats me bought the Cabin / Dust filters, they didn't have the right ones i needed so i have to pick them up tomorrow and ill fit them tomorrow. :P Wither that helps the demister and/or heaters or not, hoping it will, at least its another thing done towards getting the car all sorted and up to date as iv never changed the filter before and i have had the car 10 year, i knew nothing about this filter until this thread.Audi a6 c6 Aircon Button.mp4

Could the 8 options on the screen please be explained to me because i cant find somewhere that tells me what each as?

5a69c13f863da_audia6c6screen.thumb.JPG.785327a61a734a5147bb2a32c522cec7.JPG

I am just want to make sure im using it correctly lol before i take it to a garage.

This is also what happens with the aircon button..

Audi_a6_c6_Aircon_Button.mp4

Yea so from the video i can see that there is a fault with the air con as the light should go off when you press it 

Re your picture . Its the air direction settings . On the picture you have it set to central vents . The arrow up in the middle  mens the air will be directed to the vends below the winds screen . The 2 next to it is windscreen+central vents and windscreen + legs , rest work on the same principle 

For example on my a6 c6 i have the air con all all the time and its set on auto, with means the speed and vents are set automaticly dep3nding on the temperature set