Overpriced service quote from Audi

Alan gillan

Hi folks - new to the forum, got a bit of an issue. Got a 2016 A3 1.4 due for its first oil change and inspection. Audi have quoted for oil change, pollen filter change and inspec £285! Can I take it to another garage and what happens with the electronic record as there is nowhere on the book to stamp it and I’m worried it’ll affect the warranty or the value when I go to hand it back. Any help much appreciated , thanks 

Welcome to the forum Alan, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

My advice would be to ring around all your local Audi dealers to see which one is the cheapest. Different franchises do different offers on servicing, brake replacement and cambelt/water pump changes etc. 

In failing that, you can take it to any garage as long as it VAT registered and they use genuine Audi parts. The invoices will prove it has been serviced if that makes sense and Audi cannot refuse this as long as the two mentioned criteria are met. 

Hope I've helped

Cheers

Steve

Hello Alan, 

Not that it really makes much difference, but what mileage has the car now done and how many times (if at all) has I been serviced. 

Others will no doubt have more up to date costings on servicing than I do, but from memory I seem to recall our daughter paying that amount on her A3-  and more many years ago, so to me, the costing would seem on to be on the reasonable side of reasonable! 

Getting I serviced elsewhere? Again others may offer more specific advice, but as I see it, in theory (and theory may need to be in capitals) it is acceptable to have the car independently serviced at a non Audi, VAT registered, garage provided the parts used are Audi approved (genuine Audi to be sure, if it were mine), without invalidating the warranty. How much money are you likely to save? Is that saving worth the arguement when anything goes wrong and the servicing becomes a debate. 

By the sound of it, you have this on a PCP, and OK, pessimistic it probably is, but the hand back condition is sometimes subject to debate with such things as kerbed wheels etc. etc., and if it were mine, I certainly would not be wanting to have the servicing introduced as well. 

I'm sure, larger chain garages - who will be glad to take your money- will no doubt tell you everything will be fine, but will they be at your side when any debate take place?? 

If it is on PCP then very often the monthly payments can be extended to take in servicing. Were you offered this? You might just find its all part of your repayment plan. Worth checking? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Paul,

'As low as' £70 per hour surprises me somewhat, even in this more-in-the-sticks area. Even if it is as low as £70 then that amounts to £84 when you add the dreaded VAT. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated. Car is on PCP for 4 and this is its first service. There is no service plan taken out but it was offered.  A reputable, local garage has quoted 70 quid for the same work so the difference is huge. It’s got 17000 miles on it and (touch wood) apart from 2 new tyres on it today it goes like a dream. Given the advice I’m going to bite the bullet and go with the reputable garage but I’m going to pop into Audi 2mrw and just have face to face with someone re ha ding the car back as ur right - I don’t want them to get arsy about not using them to get it serviced. I’ll let u know how I get on. Cheers for that guys 👍

• Like 1

Hello Alan,

"A local reputable garage has quoted 70 guide for the same work....." Someone must be seriously confused here Alan, since it is highly unlikely that you will even buy the genuine Audi parts - inc. their approved oil - for that. If you accept that the minimum ( should be in capitals!) labour rate for any 'reputable'  garage must be at least £35/hr to which you have got to add VAT - and let's say they can do this service in a record 1 hour, then the labour charge alone would be £35 + £7 = £42. This leaves £28 for parts and oil! Can I even buy 5 litres of Quantum oil for £28? No. 

Something is just wrong here Alan. 

No offence meant and I know the Welsh share of loving of fondling money for as long as possible! , but sometimes bullets have to be bitten to secure the absence of longer term hassle. I have to be direct and say I think you are making a mistake here, but your call. 

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide, but bear in mind that future services will be more expensive, and if you follow the same route you will be handing a car back with zero main dealer service history. That might seriously hurt at the time. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Just to have a laugh on the tight Welsh:- 

Headlines in the Cardiganshire paper:-

Up-the-ladder window cleaner hit on the head by 50p coin which falls out of his pocket. (Think about it!) And we are supposed to have short arms and deep pockets! 

• 3 weeks later...

Audi should wear "!Removed! Turpin " masks i recently had my oil changed using the specified Shell Helix Ultra VX 5w-30 by my local very trustworthy garage for £80 .

Afternoon rileybear..nice and cheap!

I had major service done as couldnt verify service record on the car so started afresh with/for me!!  Got free brake fluid change thrown in though!

Steve

hi Steve just picked car up from Audi went in for a recall for the lambda sensor ( free ) under the warranty even tho that ran out in jan, rang me up to say it was still under a service agreement from previous owner which was due at the end of the month so asked me if i wanted it doing free also , so its had a full service new lambda sensor and cabin filter as they spotted id fitted a K&N even gave me a leather A3 Key ring all gratis ..........nice one Audi Warrington  ! :wink1: