tail and brake light problems

Appoman

Hi all

This is my first post here because (believe it or not) I haven't had anything break on my A6 TDi S-Line 2010 (60)....but now I do have a problem.

First time the problem happened it was near-side rear brake light warning symbol on the dash - tail lights were all ok, brake light in the boot lid was faulty (1 out of the 3 sectors which can light up when braking). Car was in for a service and Audi changed the bulb and said all fixed. Not correct, warning symbol again.

Next time it happened I checked the lights again and the inboard bulb in the wing-mounted lamp was also gone - 2 out of 3 sectors gone

Next time I got another warning symbol for tail light - and now the outboard bulb in the wing-mounted unit is also not working for brake or tail lights. Indicator and reverse lights work fine, for now at least. Confusingly, when I get the wife to turn the lights on and watch from behind the tail lights flash on once or twice before going out completely.

The wing-mounted lamp housing has a small amount of condensation inside, there is a small crack in the plastic housing. I have read about corroded pins in the sockets and bulb holder, so maybe a new unit would fix this, but I don't see how this can explain the failed brake and tail lights which are in the boot lid unit?

Could it be a fuse issue, earth issue - or any other ideas really welcomed, before I embark on diagnostics or spending loads on a new rear unit

Cheers

Are all leds working in the rearlighs ? Its a common fault condensation and usualy that causes leds /board to corode and fail. 

You can try to take out the unit and clean the conmectors but most likley you will be needing new cluster. eBay or brakers would be best 

I wasn't even sure whether these lights are bulbs or LED....if LED then maybe the high price option awaits me

But why does the boot-mounted light fail as well - there isn't any condensation in that unit - and do you know if that one is a bulb or LED?

thanks Piotr, I'll give that a try

Can I just check details about removal:

• quarter panel - do I remove internal trim or can the securing nut be accessed without doing so (there looks like there is a cover over a hole, but could also be a trim fastener, and I don't know which)
  • boot cluster - is it also secured from behind, and how much trim needs removing to access the locking nut

If this was a 2002 BMW 530i MSport then I'd know what I'm doing, but I'm new to the Audi construction :yes:

Cheers

Steve

• 7 months later...

Hi, Steve - I have spent ages finding a similar problem to mine! Did you get it sorted and if so - how??

It's the part where you say the lights all come on for a second on initial start up that makes me think its the same issue.

Really appreciate any pointers

Thanks

Craig

Hello Craig,

Regretably, many threads end up remaining open ended, and the potential for helping others with similar problems are lost. 

I'm not saying the following investigation is going solve your issue, but.......

Have a look at,and a twiddle with,  the harness as it passes from the bodywork through to the boot/hatch lid. This is a fairly common source of issues since it is continually flexed, and the wires can eventually snap and cause intermittent curcuit failure. Worth  stripping back the harness covering if it proves suspect. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 8 months later...

Hi, 

i am am getting a right break light error message on my A6 Avant (2011 C6 4F). The message is intermittent, but becoming more regular.

The light at fault is the one on the tail gate, on the right. As with all other light errors, the CAN stops sending a signal to the light once the error is detected, so it flashes the first time you step on the brake, beeps, displays the message, and no longer works, until I cycle the engine, clearing the error.

I ran an OBD check, that tells me that the error is on the light’s grounding. Has anyone had this type of error? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance 

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 8:49 AM, Madargy said:

Hi, 

i am am getting a right break light error message on my A6 Avant (2011 C6 4F). The message is intermittent, but becoming more regular.

The light at fault is the one on the tail gate, on the right. As with all other light errors, the CAN stops sending a signal to the light once the error is detected, so it flashes the first time you step on the brake, beeps, displays the message, and no longer works, until I cycle the engine, clearing the error.

I ran an OBD check, that tells me that the error is on the light’s grounding. Has anyone had this type of error? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance 

Looks like I managed to fix this issue, as error has not appeared now for about a month. I removed the bulb holder assembly with the issue (the one on the tailgate), as if I were to change a bulb, and disconnected the connector that remains attached (the one that feeds the red LEDs, including brakes), I used WD40 contact cleaner spray on all connectors, both male and female sides, including the ones that remain on the half attached to the tailgate. A 15 minute job, including reassembly. Problem solved!
Will do the other side as a prevention, as is likely to have the same issue eventually. Hope this helps

• 6 months later...

Hi, 

I have a problem with my Audi A6 2012 right rear inner boot light the seal is broke and is letting in water I am looking to buy a new one off eBay but my car is s line and I’m not sure if the light on eBay is sline will the lights work the same when the park lights are on my partner reckons they won’t anybody know if this will be an issue? Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

reaHi guys, I’m Audi threw and threw have had many over the years. At the min have three! 2001 s3 8l, pd130 a4 auto, also a 2006 a6 saloon auto. My a6 had a few problems when purchased. Abs and lights, so changed front left wheel bearing and abs sensor clearing that fault 😜 no number plate lights so stripped the light coupling/housing changed to standard bulbs solving that fault. The Rear window brake light works but the one in each side of rear lamps don’t? 🙈 changed bulbs (standard?) and still no lights. Checked and no power supply to the bulbs when pedal pressed. I’ve checked all fuses/relays for broken wires etc and all good! I’m at end of tether with this! 
Any suggestions/help much appreciated folks.

tia

Hello Stephen,

Can we take it you have checked for good earths at the rear brake light units? 

If good:- You say you have checked all wiring for breaks - including stripping back the flexible rubber sleeving section where the wiring harness passes from the body, into the boot/hatch? Favourite place for breaks/partial breaks due to years of flexing, so always a suspect area. 

Could you let us know how you get on? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Double-time charges may apply for Sunday advice! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Stephen,

Can we take it you have checked for good earths at the rear brake light units? 

If good:- You say you have checked all wiring for breaks - including stripping back the flexible rubber sleeving section where the wiring harness passes from the body, into the boot/hatch? Favourite place for breaks/partial breaks due to years of flexing, so always a suspect area. 

Could you let us know how you get on? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Double-time charges may apply for Sunday advice! 

Mines is saloon so it’s different. Just number plate lights and switch for boot is flexy wire going threw. Any other ideas? Would honestly be happy to pay treble time to get to bottom of this as the car can’t be used with just 1 rear brake light working!  Cheers Gareth 👍

Hello Stephen,

OK. I’m now guessing the brake light switch must be OK since the high level light is working, but .......more than one brake light switch? Probably a daft question, but there is something in my mind about sort of multi functions on brake light switches  - almost certain to be on automatics for example. 

Way forward:- ‘..... happy to pay treble time to get to the bottom of this....’ so invest in a couple of hours of services of a trusted local auto electrician. Alternative (temporary botch) - pick up a new feed from the working high level brake light. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had a similar issue with my A6 and a friendly RAC man fixed it by soldering a wire to the metal line/rail that connects all the bulbs to the system and then secured the other end to a good earth on the car, problem solved..

cheers

gary