Is 'chain driven' better than cambelt?

Elvira

Hi Everyone,

I am just about to change my car and I am considering an Audi A3 but I am a little cautious as concerned about how much more it might cost me, not necessarily in day to day running costs but repair and maintenance costs. (Currently running a Hyundai Coupe and considering either sticking with Hyundai and opting for the Gen 3 model or changing to Audi).

I am looking at a 2008 1.6 Sportback and on the advert it says it is 'chain driven so no cambelt change'. This makes it sound like an advantage but does anyone know if it is?

Do chain driven cars need this changing at anytime and if they do is it an expensive or could I expect the chain to potentially last the lifetime of the car (within reason).

Thanks in advance for any advice.... 

Hi Sam and welcome.

Yes chain driven engines have the advantage of normally lasting the lifetime of the engine whereas belt driven need to be changed every 5 years or 60k miles (whichever is sooner). A belt will cost to replace, if I remember it was £450 on a special deal a few years ago from Audi. That did not service which I pre paid in another special deal. 

That in mind do try and test drive the Audi as they really are top notch motors.

hope this help 👍

Sam. Camshaft chains are virtually everlasting compared to belts, a quarter of a million miles was not unusual back in the days when chains were common. The advantage of belts is quieter operation and better fuel efficiency; the disadvantage is the cost of replacement every 70000 miles. 

Depends how you look at it...chain ususaly lasts longer but its very expenisve to change . With belt there are set intervals . 

Common issue with chain is rattle on startup as usualy one of the tensioners fails... and is it for a lifetime , not sure 

On 04/02/2018 at 1:44 AM, niedzial1983 said:

Depends how you look at it...chain ususaly lasts longer but its very expenisve to change . With belt there are set intervals . 

Common issue with chain is rattle on startup as usualy one of the tensioners fails... and is it for a lifetime , not sure 

Your not wrong £2000 to have chains  done on mine and all because sach stamped there name a little too hard on the links and made the chains on the 3.2 weak and because they are so called chains for life Audi decided to put them on the back of the engine so only way to get at them is to remove half the car and remove the engine.