Oil?

Bigdave1230

My car is due a service but aren’t taking it to Audi as it’s at an age and mileage now where I’m not that bothered about a full Audi service history so will take it to an independent. But I’m not sure what oil they will put in it quality wise so was thinking of buying my own. Mobil one esp 5w-30 is coming up as available for my car but has anybody had any experience with oil for Q7’s or recommend any?

Hello Dave,

VAG are/were recommending Quantum oil, and I have always used this where it hasn't gone to Audi for servicing. 

It is available on line at very reasonable prices and I use their Longlife 3 as Steve says, but tend to change it every year even though the car is covering low mileages. No other reason than an annual oil and filter change is an inexpensive insurance. As I say,  - easily available on the online auction site - generally with free delivery. I bought some last week, and it was literally here the following day- from Scotland, so I didn't have to go hunting around for best prices. 

Not sure what you intend to do about the equally important oil filter, but I only use Mann filters as an alternative to VAG. I would not entrust the choice to whoever is going to change it, since the quality of some aftermarket filters can be questionable. Genuine VAG are also often available on the online auction site at discount prices, so you can compare the costs of the two brands. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.