Looking at A7 and wondering what options?

Maniac

So first, hello!

Second, MODs that sign up experience is awful (all those adverts had me signing up for Facebook, Wayfair and god knows what.)

Nearly put me off joining.

lastly, I’m considering an A7. I’d appreciate input on what to look out for, known issues, best model (power vs TCO) and what options are good and bad (never could figure out what AUDI multimedia options there were).

thanks for any input!

1 hour ago, Maniac said:

So first, hello!

Second, MODs that sign up experience is awful (all those adverts had me signing up for Facebook, Wayfair and god knows what.)

Nearly put me off joining.

lastly, I’m considering an A7. I’d appreciate input on what to look out for, known issues, best model (power vs TCO) and what options are good and bad (never could figure out what AUDI multimedia options there were).

thanks for any input!

Imho gotta be the 3.0 tdi s-line Quattro mate, had mine just over 2 years now and it hasn’t missed a beat! Which has meant I’ve been able to get it looking like this 🤩

7C2EE144-945D-4E62-B25B-31594A60B021.jpeg

1935C743-DD0F-4BB0-A784-E1172CB515FD.jpeg

CAC81BA9-A5A0-4907-8CB7-0CDE25C3CD58.jpeg

148DACDA-FCEA-4D5A-8E41-86E8063E29EC.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, E2RWB said:

Imho gotta be the 3.0 tdi s-line Quattro mate, had mine just over 2 years now and it hasn’t missed a beat! Which has meant I’ve been able to get it looking like this 🤩

7C2EE144-945D-4E62-B25B-31594A60B021.jpeg

1935C743-DD0F-4BB0-A784-E1172CB515FD.jpeg

CAC81BA9-A5A0-4907-8CB7-0CDE25C3CD58.jpeg

148DACDA-FCEA-4D5A-8E41-86E8063E29EC.jpeg

Unless you can afford an S7 or RS7 then their be the obvious choice.... your get enough toys with the sline model, bose sound system and heads up display is nice 

Welcome to the forum Gary, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Unfortunately we can't do much about the adverts as this is down to the bosses. To be fair the adverts are what keep this club/forum free :) 

I agree with Rob and say S Line spec good :) 

On any a7 you look at check the tyres! Owners who have Dunlop tyres fitted have been finding they are splitting. Here's the link to the thread: 

I've also found these 2 YouTube videos which maybe useful :) 

This has UK subtitles hut isn't too bad:

Cheers

Steve

Welcome Gary.

Gotta say the ads are a pain but you get used to them. I can totally see why you would want one of those A7 beasts. Gotta agree with Rob on diesel option. S-line is a given for me now too. My standard A3s MMI is very comprehensive also. 

Thanks for the info. The ADs were just everywhere on my mobile making sign up very confusing. Perhaps ou can select ads that don’t have sign up info on which is misleading?

so any must have gadgets or specs? And known issues? Other than tyres.

1 hour ago, Maniac said:

Thanks for the info. The ADs were just everywhere on my mobile making sign up very confusing. Perhaps ou can select ads that don’t have sign up info on which is misleading?

so any must have gadgets or specs? And known issues? Other than tyres.

Nice extras would be things like reverse camera, sunroof and Sat nav :) 

As far as the mmi system goes there’s nothing in here I think I’m missing out on 6 disc multichanger, single CD player 2 sd card slots and a sim slot as well 

3DFEE673-2891-47D9-9AD4-DC513C0A090B.jpeg

C85764EB-FF8A-40DC-BD3E-D77EE59EC79D.jpeg

With the MMI Jukebox hard drive, SD Card Slots and a USB Port and BlueTooth interfacing you will  have more room for music than you can practically fill. The Advanced MMI has a slightly wider screen and you will get the full display between the Clocks. Head Unit plays DVD. If you can fond and afford a 3.0 Diesel then this is the obvious choice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I'm a very new member here after deciding to get rid of my decade owned roadster for a more practical family car. After scrawling through the forum this thread looks like the appropriate one to post my dilemma.

Quick Background - Have been looking at the Jags recently and thought I was ready to pull the trigger but I just couldn't get out the back of my head the amazing weekend I spent with the A7 when I drove my brother-in-laws Audi to Belgium and back for the Grand Prix last year. It was so comfortable, easy to drive and we had four passengers with luggage and still had a cat to swing around, anyway I digress... Suffice to say my google searches changed and I've fallen in love with the A7 all over again. 

But here is the problem, now that I'm ready to buy my one I'm getting in a right state when deciding which model will suit my lifestyle. The one I drove to Belgium was a 3.0 TFSI but it was suprisingly ecomical because it was on a long run. Of course no where near ecomonical as a diesel but I was pleasantly surprised.

So with that being said I have come down to a shortlist of:
* A7 BiTdi
* A7 TFSI
* S7 (This in in the mix also because it's basically the same economy but more importantly more on the market to buy used that the A7 TFSI)

My driving will mostly be a mixture of shorter and medium journeys. But we do travel to Suffolk once every couple of months and also planning on doing another GP this year and also a gold weekend in Europe somewhere. 

My concerns are that for half the year in UK it's cold and this is bad for a diesel engines and therefore a lot of cold starts. And although a few longer trips will be thrown in it'll mostly be used for short journeys so this worries me. 

I'm worried about the DPF of the diesel engine, are their any known problems (apart from the fact they need to be driven for half an hour a week above 40mph to start a regen)?

Plus I can't find any statistics on reliability for the A7 either?

Anyway this is getting long winded and I apologise for that but I have been looking and researching for a couple of weeks now and my head is thumping.

Any thoughts and advice would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hello Anthony,

Welcome to the forum.

Good to know your preference of the A7. I can help with your concerns about the DPF as I don't do many miles in my own motor. Last motor was a A3 2ltr diesel also so I've ran them on low miles for over 6 years. The regen system unclogs the filter and when the system builds up due to low miles the warning light informs you of this. You then need to perform a procedure to unblock which is explained in the handbook. Should you not do this and your still using your car then the engine will go into limp mode to protect itself. This has happened to me 🙈. The AA sorted it out by running the engine through a computer program. 

Nice Spa is a top GP. Maybe the forum can do a trip.

The old petrol v diesel problem though. My preference is diesel even though it's dearer to buy than the equivalent petrol. I definitely use less fuel than the 2ltr TFSI I once had though.