Buying an a4 2.0 Fsi or T fsi

IanA4

Hi all I'm new here. Going to look at and hopefully buy an 05 a4 2.0 tfsi sline with 99k and service history.

Anything I should be checking for i.e common faults...main service parts n times etc.

Any advice welcome this will be my first Audi (2 previous cars were bmw)

Thanks

Ian

Welcome to the forum Ian, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

When you say service history, I'm assuming it's not full? 

Obviously check that all electronic items work as some of them can be costly to fix. This also goes for the air con as compressors etc aren't cheap to replace. 

If the car is manual check for a heavy clutch or if it's slipping as you'll have to factor in a new clutch in the near future. If it's auto make sure the gears change smoothly in auto and manual mode as any faults can be expensive to fix. 

Here's a YouTube video which may help: 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve that's v helpful thanks.. 

Still looking hard to find one with fully comp service history or without an odd dent etc holding out for a mintest one possible. Can't wait to hopefully find a gem and will update pics when sorted.

Still wanting the 2.0tfsi but opened the net a bit looking at 2.0d or 1.8t also. 

Hopefully update soon thanks again for the reply mate.

Glad I could help :) 

Having time on.yiur side is always good :) full service history definitely helps with a car like this. Whereas dents can be rectified :) 

Keep.us posted on how you get on :) 

Cheers

Steve

What would u say is best / most reliable model mate. Seeing a few say the tfsi have failed on oil pump assume be good to have service history with that and cam-elt having been done  worrying me now but prefer a petrol as no dual mass to go on it.

7 minutes ago, IanA4 said:

What would u say is best / most reliable model mate. Seeing a few say the tfsi have failed on oil pump assume be good to have service history with that and cam-elt having been done  worrying me now but prefer a petrol as no dual mass to go on it.

Hmm that's a tough question. I believe the 1.8 is supposed to be tough but obviously it's all about the service history :) I do believe the 2.0 does have oil usage issues but again it all comes down to how looked after it is. In my opinion. Truthfully I'm.more used to VAG diesels then petrols. 

At least with petrol you don't have to worry about a dog, egr or the dreaded emissions recall! 

Also try and get one with as lower mileage as possible :) 

I hear u mate thanks again reassuring advice i think I'm on the right thought train will shut up n take a plunge on one eventually I guess there' a bit of luck involved too really ay :-)  cheers pal

You're welcome, glad I could help :) 

There is definitely some luck involved! But as I say a car with good service history helps and if the sellers excuse for the sale seems genuine. 

My other bit of advice would be for you to do a hpi check on any cat you're looking at buying that is being sold by a private seller. 

Also it's worth looking at getting an independent inspection carried out by companies such as the AA or RAC. This is regardless if it's a garage or private seller. The benefit of this is you get peace of mind but if the seller is reluctant or refuses to allow you to have an independent inspection then you have to wonder what they or the car has to hide! 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hello Ian,

I would follow Steve's advice, but try to remain realistic with your expectations. Full service history may be a rarity on a 13 year old car, and certainly the absence of the odd ding will be. I would not get too hung up about a comprehensive service history on a car if that age,  since many owners of cars say older than 8 years old will very often find a good local mechanic to maintain the car, and the lack of the old stamp in the book may be the trade off for having the car looked after as a cash job. 

Cars which have not been well cared for tend to show themselves as such, so you can often eliminate the ones which are not worth investing in a paid -for inspection. Simple first line check - are both tyres on the same axle same make? There are of course many many more items which give you pointers.

AA or RAC inspections are fine, but you might also consider a local independent where you may get greater brand and model experience. 

Good luck in finding what you want.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1