Audi a1 power steering fault

Regency

Hey guys new to this forum..

I have an audi a1.. ill be driving and the power steering will cut out and wont work again until i turn the car off and restart.. it then kicks back in.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum Jason, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :)

As Paul has said, a diagnostic check would be a good idea. But to be fair it could be as simple as the battery on it's way out. It might be worth you getting your battery tested. When batteries start to fail they can cause all sorts of electrical issues including power steering issues. Has the car battery gone flat at all?

Cheers

Steve

Hello Jason,

I think - but I am not sure- that the power steering is linked to the speed/revs, and the amount of assistance decreases as the speed increases and vice versa. Is this lack of power steering associated with any particular road speed or engine revs? 

I would agree with Steve regarding the influence of a failing battery, but I would have thought an original battery at 6 years old should still be serviceable. This assumption is based on the original battery still being with the car, and not having been swopped at some point of sale. Might be worth checking what labelling there is on the battery.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 4 years later...

Hi

My Audi A1 is displaying the same intermittent power steering failure which corrects when you stop & restart.

It recently require an Alternator replacement. Power steering failed at that time too but has continued after the replacement alternator was fitted.

Would the alternator failure have caused the power steering pump/module to fail?

All advice gratefully received.

thanks

Thanks for joining Philip.

Could I ask some questions:- 

Can I take it the original alternator was giving a low/zero voltage, and would you know what that voltage was? 
Has anyone tested the voltage now given out by the replacement alternator - and if so what is that figure?

Was the battery efficiency measured before the alternator was replaced, and has it been tested again now? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 months later...

I to am having exactly the same problem.  I've replaced the battery and it is still doing it.  Garage read the codes and said it was terminal 30.  They also said my alternator was fine.  Any advice?