Newbie with an itch to scratch

sc-em

Hello to all. I have recently developed and itch to scratch in the name of an Audi TT 3.2 Quattro. An early one that is. I know I am probably preaching to the converted but I was wondering what thoughts people have on the pros and cons of this particular model. I know they are heavy for their size, but they look tiny and a proper car compared to my stop gap of a Celica VVTLI. The latter being bonkers on lift with a lot less weight and 190bhp.

So do I or don't I?

Thanks for thoughts.

Welcome to the forum Sean, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

You're making a good choice of Audi! The 3.2 is a lovely engine especially as it'll come with the dsg auto gearbox and Quattro :) 

It's definitely a future classic and colour, options and service history affect the value :) 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve.

The one I am looking at seems to have most options. Heated seats, climate control etc. My mechanic friend is concerned by the eml being on as it may indicate other issues rather than the lambda sensor that the error code states. Air flow or cat problems, so may be a non starter. as in one to avoid.

You're welcome :) 

Hmm, in my opinion if you're mechanic is worried then.you should be too. If it's not the sensor then.it could be much worse. 

There will.be plenty out there if you've got time to wait :) 

Cheers 

Steve

Hi Sean

if it's a simple cheapish fix, GO FOR IT :yes:

That engine & box combination is a winner.

Interesting to hear how you get on; happy motoring :yahoo:

Well my mate took his diagnostic gubbins etc and reckons engine is ok. 

He’s more concerned with brakes that he says needs renewing all round. As an MOT tester he woildnt pass it. 

So i have put down a deposit. It eill come with 12 mth MOT. Full service incl plugs and 3 mth warranty so cant be bad.  Will see how brakes go with his MOT man so may have to contest them. 

They go quite well dont they.?

Discs & pads are cheap compared with engine stuff

maybe £250 the lot & your pal fits them for a beer?

sounds good to me. have fun.

Well here is a photo of the hopefully new car.

Looks good in silver...spoils my black theme that my BMW GS Landy 90 have but hey, if it is as hoped it will be worth it. Lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

Oo looks very nice Sean and looks in good condition despite the eml.light :) 

Good man for being into proper land rovers :) my dad had a 90 and we loved it!! Ours was a 1996 CSW 300tdi in green. As seen in the pics :) 

We do miss having it.to be honest! 

FB_IMG_1519162212529.jpg

FB_IMG_1519162181954.jpg

Can't beat a Landy, however badly made they are. Hopefully the EML should be addressed with the new lambda sensor which the garage are fitting. My mate could find no other engine fault with his diagnostics. Apart from the brakes that is, which if having a service and an MOT, irregular pad wear and some nearly to the metal, should be picked up.

Here's my black fleet, less the Celica. Plus the not all black but large Sheppie.

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

Garage dealer seems genuine enough. New bushes, pads, gaiter fo MOT so if service, plugs and lambda done then cant say much wrong with deal 

is it belt or chain driven? 

3 hours ago, sc-em said:

Garage dealer seems genuine enough. New bushes, pads, gaiter fo MOT so if service, plugs and lambda done then cant say much wrong with deal 

is it belt or chain driven? 

Agreed, I'd say that's not too bad when you consider the age of the TT. 

The TT has a cambelt which according to Audi should be changed at 80k or 5 years along with the water pump. However most owners change the cambelt and water pump at 60k or 5 years to be on the safe side. 

What mileage is the TT on? 

Cheers

Steve

It has 103k so not high for sge but obviously beyond belt change. I will get on to garage to see if any mention in service book 

i assume it is destructive if breaks and not a fail to safety option?

Big job for just belt?

Yea, low mileage for age (my 2002 a6 is on 328k) but let's hope it's in the service book :) if it mainly has Audi service history then any dealer should be able to pull the cars service history up for you :) 

You'd need to change the belt and water pump. 

Here's a YouTube video to show you how to tell the age of the belt.

Here's a video to show you how to change the belt.

It definitely would be destructive if it snaps as it'll bend the valves etc. 

Cheers

Steve

StrangelyIt has 103k so not high for sge but obviously beyond belt change. I will get on to garage to see if any mention in service book 

i assume it is destructive if breaks and not a fail to safety option?

Big job for just belt?

Oops, really sorry I've been really stupid! I forget this is the 3.2 and have given you info on.the 1.8 which is cambelt. Your mechanics are correct and the 3.2 is definitely a chain. 

Sorry about that! 🤦‍♂️

Cheers

Steve

No worries Steve, it's better to be safe and all that.

What do you know about the DSG gearbox. I am guessing being in manual/paddle mode is the same as Sport for the usual auto, or does the Sports mode end up doing other quirky things. I have never had one before, so don't even know at what points you can swap between the different settings i.e auto/ auto sport or manual.

That's true! The dsg gearbox is (in my opinion) the best auto gearbox on the market. I won't bore you with the mechanics behind it but just make sure the gears change smoothly both in manual and auto mode as any faults can be expensive to fix. Check the service history to see if it's had any work done. 

The sport mode will just make the gear changes quicker. It doesnt change the suspension or anything like that. That feature came on the mk2 TT. 

Cheers

Steve

Changing the DSG oil is one of the first jobs to do and I understand they can be recalibrated or is that just when a remap is needed?

Can one switch between the different gear selection methods in any speed, then?