Audi A3 TDI Roofbars

Andy32

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which are the best roof bars for an Audi A3 on a 10 plate? and will be used to secure a snowboard. I've had a look around and the Thurle bars look to be best but abit pricey. Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Andy,

Can we take it your car already has the front to back roof rails onto which you want to secure the rood bars? I don't think there is any doubt that Thurle are the quality you buy once and wisely. A good bit of logic for this safety critical job. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

• Like 1

No, I don't have any roof bars fitted at present so I will be buying from scratch. Thanks very much for the info guys it's really appreciated and has helped me loads.

Andy

13 minutes ago, Andy32 said:

No, I don't have any roof bars fitted at present so I will be buying from scratch. Thanks very much for the info guys it's really appreciated and has helped me loads.

Andy

You're welcome Andy, glad we could help :) 

Hi Andy, if any help I got my Thule bars and fitting kits from - http://www.leisureshack.co.uk/audi-roof-bars.aspx - better price than I could find at the time anywhere else.
I was going to go to Halfords but their kit price didn't actually include everything I would have need where-as leisure shacks came complete with everything... 
If you are going down new route, but don't regret getting the Thules so quick to put on or off.
Cheers M.

• Like 1

Hello Andy,

I don't know whether this is going to throw a spanner in the works, but the reason I asked if you had roof rails fitted was that I too got all enthusiastic about fitting roof rails and bars on our 2006 A3 Sportback.

That was until I realised that fitting roof rails (if not already fitted) entailed drilling the roof! - well at least on the 2006 model year. It would be wise to check if yours has any built in anchor points front and rear for the longitudinal roof rails to which the Thule cross bars will attach. If not, decide whether you are prepared to hand the responsibility of (correctly- first time?) drilling holes in your roof. 

Probably well worth doing some homework before thinking about the roof bars. Of course, the quality and fitting of the roof rails  become of paramount importance. 

Let's hope your model year is different, and that it has built-in securing points for the rails.

It would be great if you could update us - do doubt useful information for other.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I recall there were some aftermarket rails which 'hooked' under the top of the door shuts, but I decided against this. 

• Like 2

Hi Gareth

Thanks for that information. I will have a look just incase, my Audi is on a 10 plate and as I can see may not of had roof bars fitted in the past but I will get my garage to check over for me just incase. When I do get roof bars it's looking like the Thule ones. 

Again, thanks very much for the information.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Sorry to be a pain and keep this going, but I would forget about what roof bars you are going to use, and give very very serious consideration to having someone (who would you be thinking of?) actually drilling holes in your roof. IF you are prepared to allow someone to drill, are you going to be sure they will be drilling in the exact place they should be drilling, can accurately match one side to the other, are capable of removing and refitting the headlining before drilling etc. etc. 

If you still come to the decision that this is a road you are happy to go down, then you have to first research the availability of the correct (VAG I guess) roof rails - forget about the bars for the time being. You will need to ensure that the rails come with clear instructions regarding exactly where to drill etc. 

Of course Andy, this assumes yours doesn't have any visual fixing points showing on the outside of your roof. If it has, great. If it hasn't, then I would most certainly give this a good coat of thinking about before you even consider what make of bars you are going to use. 

It could be useful to others to know if your roof does show any visible outside fixing points. Perhaps you could let us know.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

I've loked at my car and it hasn't previously had roof bars fitted and so yes I would have to drill the roof and no I can't see any visual fixing points for any type of roof bar. I'm going to speak to the garage where I bought the car from and see what they say about it.

Thank you for your assistance.

Andy

Hi Paul I have had no problem with them at all if you don't fit them correctly or use the correct bits that come with them as you get 3 different brackets for a range of cars great value for money 

2 minutes ago, Chris.m said:

Hi Paul I have had no problem with them at all if you don't fit them correctly or use the correct bits that come with them as you get 3 different brackets for a range of cars great value for money 

That clears that up :yahoo:

Don't get me wrong they are not the type of bars I would leave on the car permanently as they do push the door rubbers out at the top of the door but as a now and again roof bar they're perfect 👍