Rear light cluster

Pete Britton

Hi all,

i have removed my rear light cluster to change a build but unfortunately one of the rubber bungs have dropped down into the side panel. Anyone know the correct name for them and where I can get replacements? 

Also any tips on how to stop rain water getting into the cluster. 

Cheers. 

Hi Pete, I'm assuming you mean the rubber cap that covers the bulb after you've changed it? 

Also water in the light cluster is die to failed light seals. However some members have found drilling small holes I to the bottom of the cluster solves the problem. 

Cheers

Steve

No, the rubber cups that sit in the side panels that you clip the light cluster into. 

I was thinking a bit of silicone silent might do the trick for the water but if the cluster was fixed with new rubber cups it might do the trick. 

Hello Pete,

Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but I guess you have taken a photo of the opposite side and taken that along to your local Audi dealer, getting them to look it up on their schematic and ordering the bits you want. 

Re. silicone:- this is the death of any subsequent painting the car may need, if it's used on any panel work contact, and  you should keep it well away. There will be other non silicone sealers which could be used.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

On seeing the part in question I can tell silicone sealer is t going to work. It's a rubber grommet that protects the paint from rubbing against the light cluster. 

I would suspect a local motor factors will have something suitable. 

I've not been able to source the Audi part number, sorry. 

Cheers

Steve

Pete.

That is not simply a plug to seal the hole. It is the mounting grommet that holds the lamp unit in place, so it needs to be the right part to grip the metal peg. I have no idea what Audi calls it but most mechanics would recognise the term grommet.

Hello Pete,

I'm of the same opinion as Cliff here and I believe it is a special grommet into which the shaped fasteners fit. Since the dealer is some way away, couldn't you just e-mail them the photo then once they have that, you could talk with them over the phone? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.