Redex fuel additives

Steve Q

Just watched this fifth gear clip on restoring engine power. It was very informative on how even a service and replacement it leads can bring back lost engine power. 

The thing I found most interesting was when they applied Redex to the fuel system and was surprised at the increase in horse power. As seen below: 

When new: 190bhp

Now: 177bhp

A week after Redex added: 183bhp.

Have any of you had experience with Redex or other fuel additives and would you recommend them? 

Cheers

Steve

from their website i found this would you agree with this statement:

What the experts say…

Bruce Ellis Redex “If you’re new to using fuel additives or haven’t used them in a while, I’d recommend adding a double dose of Redex Diesel System Cleaner in the first tank to give the injectors and fuel system a good clean.”

Bruce Ellis, Global Technical Director

Well folks, the promotion has got to the parts it was meant to get to! That is to transfer monies from the motorist's wallet to the accounts of those who's products they are meant to promote.

OK, so let's forget about who is funding this experiment and take it for granted ( which is what they want you to do) that the bhp is indeed increased by 3%. Great, but how is anyone ever going to notice or evaluate this 3% increase? 

Then we have the Technical Director (sorry Global TD!) recommending doubling the quantity to use. If it's that good, why does it need to be added to double the concentration? Double the dose means double the amount of money out if your wallet and a potential for doubling the annual bonus of the directors. 

Then we have the "Advanced" version. Great - so what was wrong with the normal one then which the likes of Asda and Tesco were from time to time selling on offer from £2 ish. 

OK, the opinion of a cynical mind in terms of 'promotional research' , but just think on that we have been told that sugar is convincingly good for you by research funding by the producers, and ironic, but only yesterday I came across an old cigarette advert claiming cigarettes were good for your throat! Good isn't it? 

Having said all that, who knows, it might just increase the bhp by 3% and it may be noticeable and worth Halford's discounted price. 

Perhaps we can do our own tests and assess the improvement. Could be interesting. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Strange how things return to mind, but the car retail trade used to say 'Top Gear today, top prices tomorrow' when buying or selling at auction. 

33 minutes ago, Magnet said:

bhp by 3%

was not really bothered about increased bhp was more interested in cleaning up my fuel system and removing build up on the system. i do like reading your take on topics and almost everytime they make perfect logical sense

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Well folks, the promotion has got to the parts it was meant to get to! That is to transfer monies from the motorist's wallet to the accounts of those who's products they are meant to promote.

OK, so let's forget about who is funding this experiment and take it for granted ( which is what they want you to do) that the bhp is indeed increased by 3%. Great, but how is anyone ever going to notice or evaluate this 3% increase? 

Then we have the Technical Director (sorry Global TD!) recommending doubling the quantity to use. If it's that good, why does it need to be added to double the concentration? Double the dose means double the amount of money out if your wallet and a potential for doubling the annual bonus of the directors. 

Then we have the "Advanced" version. Great - so what was wrong with the normal one then which the likes of Asda and Tesco were from time to time selling on offer from £2 ish. 

OK, the opinion of a cynical mind in terms of 'promotional research' , but just think on that we have been told that sugar is convincingly good for you by research funding by the producers, and ironic, but only yesterday I came across an old cigarette advert claiming cigarettes were good for your throat! Good isn't it? 

Having said all that, who knows, it might just increase the bhp by 3% and it may be noticeable and worth Halford's discounted price. 

Perhaps we can do our own tests and assess the improvement. Could be interesting. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Strange how things return to mind, but the car retail trade used to say 'Top Gear today, top prices tomorrow' when buying or selling at auction. 

Fair comments Gareth. My initial thoughts would be to use it to clean out the fuel system as u doubt my a6 has ever had a clear out of the fuel system. On top of that I'd be more interested to see if it improves drivability rather than bhp especially in light if the mileage my a7 has covered. It's in good health and well serviced but feels tired if that makes sense. Just thought I'd see if this helps slightly :) 

Like you, I'm usually sceptical of such products but was surprised at the results on even what a service and ht lead change can do. 

Cheers

Steve

18 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

Um testing liqi moly injector cleaner. I took fuel and injectors values with vcds( group 13,14 and 73-77) and added the cleaner to a full tank. Will report back when the tank is empty 

Nice one Piotr :) hope it works for you :)

I was sceptical when I saw the video when I had my Celica 190, but I have to admit that after using it in a few tanks of fuel I have to say there was a definite difference in response and pick up. I had already done the usual plug change etc. I did also find that using decent petrol made a big difference. No surprise really, but my recent Aygos hardly showed a difference in what was put in.

• 1 month later...

Glad you've had good results, like you since putting in premium fuel it has helped mpg. Think when I go to simply Audi I'll put a full tank in and top up with Redex. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, Steve Q said:

Did you find it helped Simon? 

Yes when I first bought my Skoda it suffered from hesitation on acceleration. Once I used redex a few times it stopped.

11 hours ago, Simon H said:

Yes when I first bought my Skoda it suffered from hesitation on acceleration. Once I used redex a few times it stopped.

Nice one. I've bought some to try for the run to Southampton this weekend :) so fingers crossed it helps! 

Thought I'd provide an update on this thread: 

For attending simply Audi at Beaulieu I filled up my a6 with a full tank of shell v power and also added Redex. 

I have covered 350 miles since filling up with both and confirm I have had a slight improvement with the engine in terms of smooth running which I feel is a result. 

Cheers

Steve

On 23/04/2018 at 10:45 PM, Simon H said:

hesitation on acceleration

i was meaning to come back on this i drop 2 redex in the tank as i was suffering with hesitation on acceleration it was less than a second but you could feel it was there since adding the redex its no longer there and the car pulls away every time now with no hesitation took about a week and a half to get there but worth the end results

i will be using it more often  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paul A6 said:

i was meaning to come back on this i drop 2 redex in the tank as i was suffering with hesitation on acceleration it was less than a second but you could feel it was there since adding the redex its no longer there and the car pulls away every time now with no hesitation took about a week and a half to get there but worth the end results

i will be using it more often  

Well I've used it for one tank and still have half a bottle left for a second tank. So I'll be using it again to see if the a6 gets smoother :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 8:24 PM, CountDuckula said:

I’ve just popped a full tub of redex in before filling! Filled up and got 374 miles on a tank with some to spare! Happy with that I must say! 

Glad you've also seen positive results Matthew 🙂 Definitely think I'll be using Redex again. 

• 3 years later...

bin researching this question as my engine has done a few miles.

my diesel has signs of blue smoke and has a strong smell of burnt oil inside the car

not noticeable under running conditions only apparent when the car is garaged.

one guy has no confidence in the Redex as his opinion is that it fouls up the fuel filter ?

he then introduces Hydra Maximus DPF additive.

feedbacks give good reviews, and on that basis i think i will give the Hydra a go.

it has to be remembered what the additive is to be used for and the expected achievement.

i do NOT see the use of an additive as a permanent course of action once the object of using it in the first place is achieved i.e degunk the carbon buildup in the engine and cleaning the fuel system.

o.k , off to buy my Hydra and see what happens.

• Like 1

i use this all the  time  and  ALDI has 2 bottles £4.99    for diesel and petrol

3 hours ago, geoffrey said:

bin researching this question as my engine has done a few miles.

my diesel has signs of blue smoke and has a strong smell of burnt oil inside the car

not noticeable under running conditions only apparent when the car is garaged.

one guy has no confidence in the Redex as his opinion is that it fouls up the fuel filter ?

he then introduces Hydra Maximus DPF additive.

feedbacks give good reviews, and on that basis i think i will give the Hydra a go.

it has to be remembered what the additive is to be used for and the expected achievement.

i do NOT see the use of an additive as a permanent course of action once the object of using it in the first place is achieved i.e degunk the carbon buildup in the engine and cleaning the fuel system.

o.k , off to buy my Hydra and see what happens.

Hi thats the whole point of using the Hydra Maximus every other fill up, it keeps everything clean I have used this on both my previous cabs 300k+ on one and 270k on the other it turns the standard diesel into premium diesel for about 5p extra per 25litres no brainer really, I use between £60-80 per week and a 1ltre bottle lasts about three months, private owners will probably use a litre per year, not a bad investment for around twenty five quid.

Steve.