39buss

Hello and first time on this forum.  I've bought an A8 Quattro Sport Auto 2002 D2 on a whim as I haven't had one before. It's done 143000 miles,plenty of history and in pretty good nick except for oil leaks coming from "I think" the rocker cover and leaving oil stains on the garage floor under where the rear of the engine is and sometimes smokes a bit from both sides of the engine when being driven. I would like some help and info on how to remove the rocker cover to replace the gasket and any other item that might be causing the leaks(cam cover?).  There is, what looks like a breather pipe on top of the cover, and I don't want to break any thing seeing that all the bits are nearly 20 years old and possibly brittle and/or perished. I've looked on Ebay/youtube and there's not a lot on the V6 of that year. Thank you  Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

The a8 is a lovely car :)

Have you got a picture of the engine so we can see where the pipe is and where it's going too? I suspect if it's perished then it'll need replacing anyway.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's petrol, I've never owned a diesel car ever. Test drove an E class and S class diesel merc last year and very disappointed with the lack of refinement.  Freezing up here in the grim North, even the Geordie lasses have their vests on the neet.  I'll brave the cold tomorrow and take some pictures.  Jim 

Picture 1.    I felt behind the rocker cover today and it's very slippy with loads of fresh oil as you can see so hoping its an "easy" fix with new gasket set. 

Picture 2.    This shows the round shiny connection I mentioned and how do I remove it. Is it electrical? and what does it do.  It runs round the front of the engine and back over the left/nearside bank towards the rear. The cover may well come off without disturbing it and it looks like the cover is held on by nuts and studs and not by the usual torq bolts. Hope there's enough info here for the forum members to get me started along with the help of my long term trusty garage.  Jim 

IMG_6674.JPG

IMG_6676.JPG

The car is in pretty good nick all round bodily and interior. Last owner had it 6 years and loads of servicing invoices, wheels and tyres 9 months old, non smoker, over mats keeping the carpets in near new condition, unmarked Recaro seats, drives smooth without any wheel balance or tram lining issues, strong brakes without judder or pulling and nearly everything works.

What it needs;  The oil leak is the main issue, front brake pads and they should sort the brake pad wear indicator to stop pinging and go off in the dash display, drivers door mirror (heated & auto dimming) glass is cloudy, wipers, steering column only goes in and out, not up or down,  the round button next to the menu button in the cubby hole behind the gear lever possibly power steering pump as this one sounds noisy. Only one key. 

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6685.JPG

IMG_6686.JPG

IMG_6683.JPG

One other point. Is there a cam shaft seal at the rear to replace as well as the cover gasket and spark plug hole gasket.  On youtube  they use gasket sealant/RVT compound. 

I can't see how to edit previous topic as I would have included this in there. Waiting now for all your good advice.  Thanks.  Jim

Looks a very well cared for car :) 

That oil leak does need sorting asap to be honest. Could this be the reason why the previous owner sold it I wonder? Well worth changing the gasket if you believe it to be that. 

The pipe running along the top of the engine looks very shiny and new to me and I wonder if there is a mention of it in the service history of a hose/pipe being replaced recently. Sorry I can't tell.you what it is though. 

Sorry I can't help more

Cheers

Steve

It's shiny because I cleaned it so it would photograph better. Is there a camshaft seal at the back of the head which will need changing when I'm busy.  Seems pointless to change the gasket and not the seal when I'm busy.  Anyone else help me on this one before I order up a gasket set and have a go and take off the covers.  Thanks for your help.  Jim

ANYBODY?   Can someone tell me what this connection on top of the rocker cover does and how to remove it so as to change the leaking gaskets on both engine banks.  Thanks.  Jim

IMG_6677.thumb.JPG.9d515768f7e2800a224efb7381240071.JPG

Truthfully Jim I'm not sure as I'm don't know enough info on the D2. I'm sure there is a Haynes type manual for it though. 

The pipe is the a breather pipe is it? 

Where does the other end go? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Steve,   don't think I was having a go at you as this is certainly not the case at all. I've found out the pipe is the engine breather and the black rubber ring is squeezed and pulled to release it from the rocker cover and be very careful as it can be very brittle with age. It goes over the front of the engine and back towards the rear of the left bank and tee'ed into another breather pipe. There is a very good write up with video/ photos, on how to replace all seals , release some tension from the chain on the sprockets etc. on PistonHeads.  I've now sold the car with these jobs clearly stated in the advert and the buyer had everything pointed out to him and he was happy to take the car as it was and have his regular garage do the job.  I'm delivering it on Saturday morning so a good outcome for all.    Thanks for all your help.

Maybe,  but it will have to be a newer one now that I'm aware of the oil leak problem, I'll know where to look and/or leave it alone. 

19 minutes ago, 39buss said:

Maybe,  but it will have to be a newer one now that I'm aware of the oil leak problem, I'll know where to look and/or leave it alone. 

Well we all learn from experience :) let us know if you need any help :)