A6 Advice

getonwithit

Hi,

I need some advice please.

I currently own an A4 and am looking to upgrade to an A6.

I am looking at the 2013-2015 range -  AUDI A6 2.0 TDI S Line. 

The AUDI A6 2.0 TDI Ultra S Line are a bit out of my price budget at the moment so my question is should I wait 6 months or more and go for a Ultra engine or buy now with the older engine ? 

Are the Ultra engine better compared to the older one ? The only reading I have been doing on it are from car mag reviews so i would like the opinion from people who drive these daily and have upgraded from the older engine to the new Ultra one.

Thanking you in advance.

Pat 

Welcome to the forum Pat, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

As a general rule ultra is just another spec Audi offer and the engine and gearbox are not modified. This is the same for s line models except they get lowered suspension. The ultrab is a very nice spec :) 

If you are hankering after an ultra model then I'd wait 6 months to get that model. I know if it were me I'd have to live with the regret! 

With regard to the 2.0tdi engine check to see if it's had the emissions recall carried out and if so when. If the car is for sale shortly after the recall then I'd be asking questions as to why. Here's a couple of threads for more info: 

Also here is a buyer's guide I've found on YouTube:

Are you looking at a manual or auto? And are you after one with Quattro? 

Cheers

Steve

https://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/advanced-technologies/ultra.html

Interesting that the 2.0 TDi Ultra has the same power output as the "standard 2.0 Diesel but less emissions resulting in less road fund licence / year.

I believe the engine choice is available across the range and when buying second hand, you rely on someone ticking the boxes at original build to suit. From what I can see online the Ultra is most popular with Fleet buyers due to C02 figures although being VAG they should be taken with a heaped spoon of salt. 

My non Ultra 2.0 Diesel Avant Auto returns about 40 MPG real world and I don't drive like Miss Daisy is in the back. I had a budget set but when presented with my present car at the dealers I dug deeper to get it. Items on your wish list will be the Tech Pack and Heated seats (cant believe they are an Option). 20" wheels had nothing but cost to running the car over time. 

S Line seats a lot better than standard although non S Line models are not uncomfortable. 

Mine has had the emissions update and is on 27k miles. Having experienced EGR valve failures on other Cars it is a general fault not just Audi and luck of the draw - If the EGR does croak post update Audi have been fairly supportive in the past but note support is born from loyalty so Main Dealer Service History will smooth the way there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, getonwithit said:

Thanks all for the replies. I have decided to drop the Ultra from my search for a car as its way over my budget. 

They are very expressive Pat and to be honest S Line model is nice. Obviously certain options may have been chosen from.the ultra spec sheet on.certain s line models :) this is the fun of buying a German car as it can be individualised. 

Cheers

Steve

With the Ultra being just an Engine option and the rest of the build coming from the Audi pick list the only thing you will be dropping with the Ultra option is some MPG and road fund licence. 

Plenty of A6 out there with some reasonable spec. 

Defo looking at Automatic, my current A4 is manually and I have never driving an Automatic (apart from tipping around in a rental in the States) 

Glad to here the drop down from an Ultra is not that big of deal.

Still think you are missing the Ultra part of an A6 specification...

Ultra refers to the lower emission engine, not the overall spec. This is no Ghia or Vandem Plas sort of thing. You can buy Audi A6 Ultra in Base, SE, S-Line, Black spec and then there are all the tick boxes for options on top. I looked at some but none were in the colour , spec and price when I went looking for mine. All the Ultra tick brings to the party is £30 / year road fund licence and supposedly more MPG. 

• 1 month later...

Mine is a straight 2.0D Ultra SE. As already stated by Envy, the "Ultra" badge is just indicating the low-emission engine that's fitted. RFL is £20 per YEAR!!! And my 15 mile drive to work (mix of urban and dual carriageway) gets me 50mpg, although on a recent trip from Swindon to Norwich pretty much all motorway got me 62mpg.

• 3 weeks later...