Poor MPG TFSI

8P_

Hi all, 

New to the forum so go easy! 

As as the title says, currently struggling with majorly bad fuel consumption on my 2.0TFSI. Owned the car for over a year, absolutely love it and is normally a pleasure to drive. Due to common tfsi engine issues the car has been serviced roughly every 5000 miles, with fuel, plugs and filters changed last time I serviced her.  Cambelt had been done by previous owner.  Throughout the year fuel consumption has been moderate, obviously depending on driving style with a mixture of normal roads and motorway driving. When brimmed I’ve been returning on average 290/350 miles and anything from 18mpg to 40mpg if I’m really cautious with my right foot. However for the past month or so, I’ve been struggling to even get 200 miles when brimmed, the lowest was 150 miles. Half a tank is now roughly 70/80 miles via dash, and having reset the trip it is roughly there or there abouts. MPG via dash is anywhere between 25/30 normal motorway driving so wouldn’t expect half a tank to be 70/80 miles personally?

Now there is a few possible factors that I know may cause this. Due to the rubber grommets failing on the engine cover, I’ve ditched it completely and converted to an oversized ramair kit. When I fitted it I knew fuel consumption would obviously increase, but not 150 miles to a tank bad and the increase in fuel consumption was becoming apparent even before the induction kit was fitted. Engine light used to come on every now and then due to the common EVAP faults to which I replaced the canister, pipes and valves which cured the engine light issue but still suffering from bad fuel consumption. Recently she does seem ever so slightly hesitatant when initially putting your foot down in 2nd but really is minimal so I’ve not been too worried about that. 

Other than the induction kit, the car is standard with no remap. The car has been scanned with Odis with no faults present. Realistically I’m expecting reply’s to say it’s obviously a consequence of the induction kit to which I’d probably agree, but it seems a little excessive. Basically I’m just wondering if this could be a consequence of a failure of a different part such as the PCV Valve or something along those lines? Would a remap potentially increase fuel consumption? Could the timing on the fuel pump be out slightly when the belt was replaced? However if this was the case I would have expected this from the start.  Any advise/suggestions would be appreciated. To be honest, it’s really not the be all and end all, more curious than anything. One good thing is I know where all the local petrol stations are, and they know me by first name terms!

Craig

B8233463-23F8-4823-8786-9BEF2F0E9B21.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Craig, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I have to agree with cliff and say the poor dog is due to the induction kit in my opinion.

Nice looking a3 by the way :) 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Craig.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your car. 

Looks like you have the same special edition model of A3 as I had a few years ago. Fuel consumption wasn't too good for me. I don't know what's wrong but a few friends have had remaps and they report more power with better economy. They were told this would be the case as its standard practice for the manufacturer to tune cars to run on poorer fuel. Those are the words from the remapping guys. 

Hope this helps and would hope for any updates on your issues- Adam