Is there any go in these A3’s?

Crazycarlo

Hi all, I am very interested in test driving a used A3 1.6 Diesel S-line, (63 plate) however I’m a little dubious about the speed of it as the BhP is only 102.  Just wondered if anyone has one who can shed some light on whether they actually have any go in them or not?

thanks,

carl. 

Hi Carl.

The 1.6 diesel is for economy and low running costs. You want more go then look at the 2.0 diesel which is good on fuel and only costs £30 a year road fund duty (road tax) for the 140bhp version. 

Welcome to the forum, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

If you want power definitely go for the 2.0tdi! I feel the 1.6 is under powered. My dad had one as a company car. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks. What’s the ride like? Can you feel every bump as it’s quite a sporty car? If it’s anything like my Civic type S then I don’t think I’d be interested. I know ultimately I need to test drive one, which I will as soon as I’m ready to buy. Just doing my research first. Thanks.

Carl. 

11 hours ago, Crazycarlo said:

Thanks. What’s the ride like? Can you feel every bump as it’s quite a sporty car? If it’s anything like my Civic type S then I don’t think I’d be interested. I know ultimately I need to test drive one, which I will as soon as I’m ready to buy. Just doing my research first. Thanks.

Carl. 

I opted for the Dynamic suspension after watching reviews that all seem to recommend this. The ride is generally good and handling does not seem to be to affected.

The dealer should be able to tell you which is fitted to the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I can recommend the 1.4 petrol TFSI 150BHP.  I previously had an A4 3.0TDI and was amazed at the performance of such a small engine. I have the S line which is a hard ride but you can deselect the sport suspension at no extra cost.

My son had the 1.6 diesel in an A1 and it's not the best engine and  was part of the emissions recall which we did not do due to reports of mechanical failures and performance hit.

• 1 month later...

On 31/03/2018 at 12:36 PM, Mark R1 said:

Hi, I can recommend the 1.4 petrol TFSI 150BHP.  I previously had an A4 3.0TDI and was amazed at the performance of such a small engine. I have the S line which is a hard ride but you can deselect the sport suspension at no extra cost.

My son had the 1.6 diesel in an A1 and it's not the best engine and  was part of the emissions recall which we did not do due to reports of mechanical failures and performance hit.

I can recommend the 1.4 petrol TFSI as well. Mine's an automatic, but I'm getting 49 mpg average, and performance is more than adequate. Just after I ordered mine, the engine size was increased to 1.5 litres, but the official performance and economy figures remained the same.

Hi, I bit late with my input, but here it is for what's it worth. I have a brand new A3 1.6 tdi with Stronic gearbox with 116bhp. For a 1.6, I find it quite powerful and a joy to drive. I live in Malta which is a small country, so power is not my first priority, but comfort is, and the a3 is a joy to drive, has a fantastic gearbox. What ever engine you chose, I highly recommend the Stronic auto.