Opinions on Avon tyres

lpopa93

Hi guys,

I need to buy a set of new 235/40/18 tyres for my car, and while looking for Bridgestones, Michelins and Dunlops, I also stumbled upon Avon ZZ5. I remembered seeing the manufacturer in motorsport competitions and motorbikes, so I started searching for reviews and tests. While finding a bunch of positive reviews, I could not find any actual tests and comparisons. The main complaint was their high wear rate, but that wouldn't be an issue, I had Potenzas and they were gone in 9 months.They are a bit cheaper than the Potenza S001 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but I still don't know how the Avon compares to them. When I asked some friends about them, they told me they are utter cr*p, but they also told me they wouldn't buy such expensive no-name tyres. When they said no-name tyres, I completely disregarded their opinion, as they obviously have no idea about this company's heritage.

I am asking on a UK forum because probably these tyres are more popular over there, as they are British made. What is your experience with these tyres and what would you recommend me to do?

I have 245/45/18 on my A6 - I live in the Town where they are made but that is not a reason for buying them. I used to rate the Uniroyals but decided to go for Avon ZZ5 as had to get a new tyre in a hurry after a blowout. 

So far so good - hard to judge economy but noise and road manners are excellent. Yes Avon has great heritage in both Cars and Motorcycles - good price but not economy performance.

• 2 months later...