AMG

Hello all

I'm new to here and to Audi. I have been a Jaguar driver for a while but looking to buy an Audi TT. There seems to be quite a lot of TT's for sale around to £2-3k mark which sounds great but I'm wondering if I can glean some advice as to watch out for, what to avoid etc on these. I'm looking at 1.8-2L, Quattro, Coupe's possible automatic. My local mechanic is very helpful but won't offer buying advice.

Any help much appreciated.

AMG

Welcome to the forum, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I'm assuming you're looking at getting a mk1 TT? 

As you are considering a auto it'll be a DSG auto. It's worth checking to see when the gearbox oil was changed and that the gears change smoothly both in manual and auto modes. 

With regard to quattro, it's a great system but can be sensitive and can be damaged by things such as uneven Tyre wear or mis-matched tyres on the same axle. So it's important to check that it's working. 

The major recall on the early mk1 TT was the instrument cluster which would fail and I suspect it should have been carried out on any TT you are looking at. Naturally it is very important that the cluster is working as replacements can cost up to £2k. 

Here's a YouTube video which may help:

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve

I'm actually looking at a MK1 2002 6 speed manual Quattro, 1.8 Petrol - the automatics fitting into my budget were all higher mileage. My mechanic did mention the oil change. The car I'm looking at has 109k on the clock but I've seen many TT's with upwards of 160k so understand that the engine's are a good build?

Again, thanks for the tips and the video.

AMG

You're welcome, glad I could help :) 

The 1.8 engine is good as long as it's been looked after. It's worth checking the service history to see what work it's had done.

The manual 6 speed gearboxes are good I've never had an issue with my a6 6 speed and it's now on 328k :) 

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am the same as AMG, 

I am looking to purchase either a a4 cabriolet or a TT, given budget it would be somewhere between 2003-2006. And it has to be an auto, (for the wife) Ive read alot about cambelts, just wondering as a guy with little or zero car knowledge what things I should be asking about or looking for when buying,

Thanks all

Hello Bradley,

To jump to the point, I would suggest that with little or zero car knowledge you should not be allowed to view any cars when you have a wallet in your pocket! It may sound a it harsh, and it's really meant to be as light hearted as I can, yet a serous comment. It is a fact that most buyers fall in love with a car, and from that point reason and logic go out through the window.

What I would think about Bradley is to foster some good relations with a local garage and 'hire opinion' there on anything you may be interested in, and get them to check it over before buying,  so you have a sound opinion on its condition. There are so many things to look at on any make or model that it would take a book to list them, and trying to assess the condition of a 12 to 15 year old car will be a minefield. 

I would recommend that you don't consider buying without having an independent inspection - OK it's going to cost, but it is likely to save you money in the end. Of course, AA or RAC offer comprehensive inspections. The only other general thing I can add Bradley is beware about paying deposits since technically they are non refundable.

Thanks yes was considering getting an inspection, unfortunately for me due to my choice of car it will involve travelling a considerable distance. So probably will consider hiring an inspection. However I was just interested before I got to that point, if there were any common issues which are problematic or signs which imply more serious issues, I have owned a few BMW E46's so for example I know a few common traits which can suggest serious mechanical issues ahead.

15 hours ago, Jeeringtowser said:

That's very impressive Steve!

Do you have the oil changed at shorter intervals than recommended?

Thanks! :)

Well in theory my a6 is on long life servicing but the oil gets changed yearly which is less than 20k :)