Autonomous flying Audi

Steve Q

Audi have released pictures of what they believe to be the future of transportation. It starts out as an autonomous car which has a drink on.the roof which has the capability to lift the passenger compartment! 

Naturally this technology is many years away of becoming a reality but it is interesting to see how the auto manufacturers are trying to help relieve the traffic congestion problems. 

What do you think? 

Here's the link: 

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/future-tech/heres-your-autonomous-flying-audi-future

Pictures taken from.the Topgear article. 

lead.jpg

a182042_large.jpg

a182040_large.jpg

Very interesting Steve.

I have here (somewhere!?) a 1928 supplement from a daily newspaper which predicts that by the year 2000 we would all be flying around in mini helicopters rather than cars. One guessed that close proximity control systems would be in place - as they now are with adaptive cruise control etc.

As I see it, we spent billions of pounds on roadway structures and maintenance, so we can wear out our tyres in record time, yet we have virtually unlimited air space which does not cost us anything! Daft isn't it? 

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Very interesting Steve.

I have here (somewhere!?) a 1928 supplement from a daily newspaper which predicts that by the year 2000 we would all be flying around in mini helicopters rather than cars. One guessed that close proximity control systems would be in place - as they now are with adaptive cruise control etc.

As I see it, we spent billions of pounds on roadway structures and maintenance, so we can wear out our tyres in record time, yet we have virtually unlimited air space which does not cost us anything! Daft isn't it? 

Certainly is Gareth! I just think there are alot of complications to over come. Ie how do you police the air space, give way, change direction etc. 

I think it would need to be something similar to back to the Future part 2 to be honest! 

As per these pictures.

FlyingCars2.jpg

flyingcars.png

Skyway1.jpg

• 3 months later...

Very interesting stuff! I love future concepts and depictions of what motoring/transport may look like in years to come. I'm calling it now that there'll still be people in the year 2197 who still don't indicate haha. 

If you ask me, there will come a time after which motorists will look back on us using roads to travel on and will laugh and think of us as living in the dark ages! 

Similar to when we look back on medicine or surgery pre-Germ Theory and laugh at how silly people could be for operating on patient after patient without even washing their dirty tools/aprons/gloves...

• Like 1