Worth a punt ? Audi A6 Saloon 2.7 T

TTChris

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum, 

My 18 year old A6 quattro has finally got to the end of its life, and I'm looking to get another 

I've found one that has 149000 miles on it, its £1295, looks in good nick from the photos.  Is it likely to be good for another 30odd k ? I do very little mileage 

Any thoughts welcome :yes:

Edited by A6chris
spelling

Welcome to the forum Chris, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Great to see a fellow c5 owner on here! :) The 2.7 is a great engine and is worth a punt, plus they are getting quite rare now! It's worth checking the service history to see what work it's had done. Obviously listen out for any wistling from the turbos and make sure there's no major hesitation when driving as turbos can be very expensive to replace! Listen out for any knocking from the front of the car which could be things such as engine mounts, suspension components or worse case a driveshaft. 

Is it auto or manual? 

Also check for signs of rust on the front wings as this can be an expensive job to replace these. 

In terms of electrics, make sure everything works! Ie the air con which can cost around £1000 as a worst case scenario (and is in the case with mine, hence why I don't have air con!) 

How come is your current a6 dead/dying? 

And have you got any pics? (I love to see fellow c5 owners cars!!) 

Cheers 

Steve

Ah thanks Steve , I'll post up some pics when I take them later.

It has an ABS fault so estimates are at 1k

plus the clutch has been going for years (i dont do high miles anymore)

Radiator has a leak too.

The 2.7 is an auto tiptronic

not driven a turbo before, should it make very little noise ?

Thanks again for the input. 

Hey, i just noticed you are from Leicester.

I grew up there . left in 2005 

You're welcome :) 

It does look good, and appears to have been well looked after :) I say this as the buttons for the climate air-conditioning look good and the lacquer hasn't peeled off which is a common trait of these. As it has the climate air con, make sure it works as it'll be expensive to fix if it's not working.

It's also got the sports seats and 3 spoke sports steering wheel, which may have been optional extras. I know they were an optional extra on my car. You'll notice there are 2 buttons on the steering wheel, these are to shift gears. 

Make sure the gear changes are smooth both in manual and auto modes as problems can be expensive to fix. 

I've also noticed that the cupholder has the front missing, it might be worth asking the garage if they can fit your existing a6 cupholder to the newer purchase :) 

Ah nice! Which part of Leicester did you live? 

grew up in wigston and narborough, then lived in countersthorpe until 2005.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a test when i'm back from hols

12 hours ago, Steve Q said:

It does look good, and appears to have been well looked after :) I say this as the buttons for the climate air-conditioning look good and the lacquer hasn't peeled off which is a common trait of these. As it has the climate air con, make sure it works as it'll be expensive to fix if it's not working.

It's also got the sports seats and 3 spoke sports steering wheel, which may have been optional extras. I know they were an optional extra on my car. You'll notice there are 2 buttons on the steering wheel, these are to shift gears. 

Make sure the gear changes are smooth both in manual and auto modes as problems can be expensive to fix. 

I've also noticed that the cupholder has the front missing, it might be worth asking the garage if they can fit your existing a6 cupholder to the newer purchase :) 

Ah nice! Which part of Leicester did you live? 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803104451521?sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=en51bz&price-to=3000&model=A6 SALOON&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&make=AUDI&radius=25&price-from=1000&page=1

paid a deposit on it.  getting £250 for my old A6.

not even seen it yet.. ha ! I love a gamble !

Lovely, thanks . Ironically, my A6 brake light warning has gone again, but I'm sure I have excess pedal travel, so it is time to get rid.

I might offer it up for sale

4 hours ago, A6chris said:

Lovely, thanks . Ironically, my A6 brake light warning has gone again, but I'm sure I have excess pedal travel, so it is time to get rid.

I might offer it up for sale

Well I just had the brake vacuum pump replaced as I had brake failure which cost me over £300. 

Feel free to post it up for sale on the forum but don't forget to add pics and a price :) 

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Well, update, went to actually view the car, utter crate !

front bumper was taped on at some points and had big gaps at either side, wheelarch had a rust hole right through the outer skin,

it was really scruffy and dirty inside, refund of deposit now promised.

meanwhile, i've just bought this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801192886615?price-to=1500&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=TT&make=AUDI&sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=en51bz&page=2

I realise that A6s for around 1k are all very rough.  maybe I can get one in  year or so when funds are better.

I got £345 for my very poorly A6 against this TT - i was lucky that the various warning lights chose not to show that day !

Tips for the TT ?        cam belt need doing ?  drives well , so funny being in it compared to the A6, like driving a snorkel jacket with the hood zipped right up

Sorry to hear the a6 was scruffy. Makes me look like an idiot now lol! Looked good in the pics but it just goes to show nothing compares than to see the car in the flesh! 

The autotrader link doesn't work but I'm guessing it's a TT and you're happy with it.

Cheers

Steve

No Worries steve, 

the pics were all good, but they hid the nasty bits !

This is my new ride, must admit i was really sad driving the A6 up to be Pxd (got £350 for it againts the TT which was 1495)

But, this little rocket is fun !  Kids love it too.

I'll prob post up some thoughts and questions in the TT section of the forum, so i dont spam this bit

Thanks 

TT.JPG

TT1.JPG

TT2.JPG

Hi Chris.

You got a beaut and thanks for sharing. Missing a centre cap on the rear alloy. Might wish to replace all as they tend to weather. Great outcome though and your bound to be as attached to this one as the parted.

Thanks bud, 

yes it's such a taught car in it's feel .

The A6 was like a lovely boat.

I'll post up some stuff in the TT section from here on

Thanks for the kind words and advice

On 4/24/2018 at 8:48 PM, A6chris said:

No Worries steve, 

the pics were all good, but they hid the nasty bits !

This is my new ride, must admit i was really sad driving the A6 up to be Pxd (got £350 for it againts the TT which was 1495)

But, this little rocket is fun !  Kids love it too.

I'll prob post up some thoughts and questions in the TT section of the forum, so i dont spam this bit

Thanks 

TT.JPG

TT1.JPG

TT2.JPG

Wow the TT looks a beaut :) hope you're pleased :) that interior is in great condition :)