Advice needed bought a used car with issues

chrisjac2

H All, 
Would value the community opinion. I know what I should do but not what I want too! 
Bought a 2009 1.8 Audi A3 s line convertible 2 weeks ago. I love it! Cruse control, Leather seats 18inch rims and all for £6k .55,000 miles on the clock (around 2k under parkers guide).FSH

Basically love the car until.........Oil light has come on! put 1ltr of oil in and then 600 miles later oil light is on again. Now im speaking to audi as this was on watchdog and they will fix this free of charge as its a known engine fault (Piston rings are to tight) 9 out of 10 times supply a new engine.

Thinking I would take the risk as I can still return it with 30 days but then this morning the coolant light has come on too! on checking has low coolant. Could just be not checked by the dealer?
Coolant looks clear and there are no drips under the car. Took about 1/2 a pint to bring up to max

So my issue do I 
a.) Keep the car and get dealer/ Audi to pay for all of the repairs needed and hope nothing else goes wrong
b.) cut my losses and return the car and get a car not as spec'ed 

As said I love the car and really want to keep it but I dont want to be stuck with a turkey that will cost me ££££ in the long run. If i get a new engine whats the worst that can happen??

Welcome to the forum Chris, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

The key question is, have you spoken to the dealer where you bought it from? And if so what have they said? We're you aware of any of the issues when you bought it? 

If it were me I'd be taking the car back from where I bought it for them to inspect it. 

Also I would monitor the coolant to see if you loose any more. Is there any smoke coming out of the exhaust and if so what colour is it? 

Obviously if you are buying a new engine you have to be certain on the history of it and especially that it's had the recall. 

Cheers

Steve

Chris.

Car dealers are not renown for their charity and you are now discovering why the car was so cheap. In my view if the engine is clapped out, then it's likely the rest of the drive train will also be marginal and the car will become a money pit in the years to come. I'd get rid of it as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Chris, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

The key question is, have you spoken to the dealer where you bought it from? And if so what have they said? We're you aware of any of the issues when you bought it? 

If it were me I'd be taking the car back from where I bought it for them to inspect it. 

Also I would monitor the coolant to see if you loose any more. Is there any smoke coming out of the exhaust and if so what colour is it? 

Obviously if you are buying a new engine you have to be certain on the history of it and especially that it's had the recall. 

Cheers

Steve

HI Steve thanks for the reply, Spoke to the dealer today and they have advised to go to Audi to see if they will rectify the oil issue. there were no issues raised when I bought it. I only topped up the coolest today so I will keep an eye on it. As far as I can see exhaust seems clean. Think I might just cut my losses on this one

Hmm, odd how the dealer is telling you to go straight to Audi. Seems like he is trying to wash his hands of you and the car. The dealer should be fixing it not audi.in my opinion. If the dealer is being funny then I'd say take it back. 

There are plenty of a3 8p convertibles out there ;) 

Cheers

Steve

Oil loss, coolant loss  - that sounds like a head gasket to me. Do a quick check (if safe to do so) with the engine idling but not hot take the cap off the coolant bottle 1. check for bubbles 2. have a sniff.

Also with engine switched off remove oil filler cap and check for white sludge on the cap and around the neck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisjac2 said:

took it back today and agreed a full refund, seems the safest thing to do.

At least you know what it is your after in terms of spec, engine etc. It all helps towards experience :) 

Do you think you'll get another Audi?

Yes, I do like the S line maybe looking at a A5 if the pennies will stretch. On another note I did get to drive round in a new car for a couple of weeks and only had to pay for insurance (And a couple of litres of oil)  :-)