Washer reservoir capacity

Monksey7

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what the reservoir capacity is on the a3 8v hatchback only the warning buzzer has come on to tell me it is low on washer fluid.

found this m8, you may have to adjust as you still have some in the washer bottle best to make up 1litre bottles at a time till you get a rough idea for next time

5.5 litres with headlight washers
3.0 litres without

1 hour ago, Paul A6 said:

found this m8, you may have to adjust as you still have some in the washer bottle best to make up 1litre bottles at a time till you get a rough idea for next time

5.5 litres with headlight washers
3.0 litres without

Thanks Paul, 5.5 litres it is :yes:

Not very big!

My previous X1 went nearly 2 years before it needed topping up. The A3 needed filling after a couple of months. It usually takes about two and a half litres to fill it from when the warning light comes on (no headlight washers). It seems to use a lot of fluid with each wash.

8 hours ago, Royleblue said:

Not very big!

My previous X1 went nearly 2 years before it needed topping up. The A3 needed filling after a couple of months. It usually takes about two and a half litres to fill it from when the warning light comes on (no headlight washers). It seems to use a lot of fluid with each wash.

Thanks, that works out with the non headlight washer version with the alert coming on at half a litre ish.

From personal experience, and possibly not shared as an opinion by others but, I have long since given up filling the washer reservoir to full - particularly in the lower useage summer months- due to the mixed solution 'going off'. 

I now just add about 2litres from empty since. Irrespective of the concentration, this fluid (or the water content anyway) has a tendancy to coagulate when left standing, and smells and tends to clog the pump filter and jets after time. In effect, in summer in particular, keep the volume in the tank to a minimum and top up frequently.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 minutes ago, Magnet said:

From personal experience, and possibly not shared as an opinion by others but, I have long since given up filling the washer reservoir to full - particularly in the lower useage summer months- due to the mixed solution 'going off'. 

I now just add about 2litres from empty since. Irrespective of the concentration, this fluid (or the water content anyway) has a tendancy to coagulate when left standing, and smells and tends to clog the pump filter and jets after time. In effect, in summer in particular, keep the volume in the tank to a minimum and top up frequently.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth, I'll bear that in mind.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Magnet said:

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Interesting theory, Gareth. I had a problem with my X1 last year where the screen washer got blocked. As the reservoir was buried in the wheel arch and the pipes were hidden under the bonnet insulation it wasn’t the easiest fix.

Phil

Hello Phil,

That's about it for locating the washer reservoir. UndeI the wheel arch, so the liner etc. has to come out to get at it - pain in the posterior!

Might be worth mixing say a 25% strength mixture in a jar and leaving it there for a month or two ( I don't buy the ready mixed since the wallet gets upset at buying water). You will probably find by then it stinks and will start to coagulate.

Kind regards,

Gareth.