Potential purchase- Any views or comments?

David Martin

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804045208107?sort=price-asc&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&price-to=8000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&body-type=Estate&year-from=2007&make=AUDI&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=sp62df&transmission=Automatic&model=A6 AVANT&page=1

I spotted this A6 Le Mans for sale and it seems to tick a lot of boxes.

All other Le Mans have had the 19" seven spoke wheels and this one has 18" five spoke. I am not overly bothered as these may give a slightly better ride. Were 18" an option of have they been changed?

The wheels on the car I posted the link to do not appear in the Audi brochure that Paul A6 kindly posted.

Any particular items I should specifically look for on the Le Mans / 3 litre diesel? The dealer that is selling the car I linked to is around 130 miles away so it would be useful to know what to ask before going and what to look for. I have checked the MOT history and it failed last time for excessive smoke as below but clearly then passed, should I be reassured it passed or look elsewhere?

Also, can I find out the VIN  from the registration number and check the build sheet? This is easy on Mercedes but I cannot find a site that allows me to do this with Audi but am probably being a numpty!

Reason(s) for failure

• Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke (7.4.B.3a)
  • Exhaust emits excessive smoke or vapour of any colour (7.4.B.4)but

this dealer is using a standard data sheet most dealers use,as you said it has 18" wheels yet he is adveriting it with 19" wheels

This car comes with

• 19in x 8.5J 7 - Arm Double Spoke Design Alloy Wheels with 255/35 R19 Tyres and Locking Wheel Bolts

130 miles is a long way to go not knowing much about the car 1 thing to try and get from the dealer is the spec sticker, one is on page one of the handbook or service book and the other is in where the spare wheel is kept, ask if he would not mind emailing you a picture than we can tell exactly what the car left the factory with

Thank you for the info.

Looking at the pictures of the car the tyres (and wheels, as you say) are shown as 235/40/18 so my question is this; is it a Le Mans with non-standard wheels or just badged as one and should the MOT failure due to excessive smoke which was then fixed (well enough to pass the MOT) be a concern?

In my experience dealers are not keen on sending details but I can only ask!

as for 18" over 19" i`m not sure maybe the road was too hard on 19" so they got swapped out, if it was me i would look to see loads of service paperwork on a car thats now at 150k

• Like 1

I’ve owned a 3.0tdi for 8 years. Injectors replaced with a set of AB revision, mine were original and smoked after idle, and leaked diesel into the oil. The oil level rises inexplicably. Only other fault was the fuel sender. That’s it. Bought some second hand injectors from a well known auction site for 600 and fitted them myself.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

The add ia not a lemans. Badge is an add on by the owen and its in the wrong place... but this is an sline

Thank you for your reply

Other Le Mans models seem to have the badges in the same place unless I am missing something? Also, using this website shows it listed as a LeMans:https://www.instantcarcheck.co.uk/

Well that car is now sold, no matter I have no urgent need to buy , I have the money sitting in the bank so am in the fortunate position to be able to wait! I am more interested in buying on condition than age / mileage but does anyone know  when the 3.0 diesel  and petrol moved out of the £540 VED band?

I did spot a well cared for 2007 Le Mans but it is in the higher VED band and although it makes little overall difference to me in running costs it might make moving the car on easier if it was in a lower category. Ideally a late 2008 onwards with the facelift lights etc would suit but there are few around on Autotrader, Pistonheads, eBay, Exchange & Mart etc and those that are around have very high mileages or are attracting high prices.

Please feel free to post links to any you may know of, ideally Le Mans spec Avant or Saloon or S line / SE quattro,3.0 l, must have Sat nav, heated seats (memory seats preferred) good history and in excellent condition.

Regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of A6 Avant / Saloons around  at the moment with the specification I am looking for, well not without very high mileages or extremely optimistic pricing!

One that I have found is here: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804255899831?transmission=Automatic&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&year-from=2007&price-to=6500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=AUDI&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=sp62df&model=A6 AVANT&page=1

My only two issues with it is the distance from me (about 150 miles away) but it looks worth the effort so it is just a case of finding a whole day.and the "Windforce " tyres that were clearly fitted as a result of 3 tyres being close to the limit at the last MOT. If bought I think a new set of better known tyres would be called for such as Michelin Cross-Climate

I would have liked Xenon lights with the LED running lights with the slight changes to the engine that came in late 2008 but this looks to be in very good condition and is the classic one owner (plus Audi demonstrator) and is well equipped.

Does anyone know the dealer or have any comments on price etc?

Thanks in advance :)

8 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

Car looks nice but for me asking price is to high

Thank you for your message. 

There are a few lot of Le Mans models with higher miles and lower spec for higher prices. 

What do you think it is worth? 

Regards 

David 

23 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

Not sure I follow, the link you posted, that car is £700 more and is a 2.0 litre not a 3.0 litre? It also has manual seats and a manual gearbox ?

• 1 year later...