Hi everyone.

ScottyA5

Hi everyone,

I am new on here and wonder how many members have the new 2017/2018 A5 Sportback 2.0 tfsi 7 speed s-tronic Quattro 252bhp?

Great car but would be nice to know if anyone has any problems, such as sloshing liquid sounds? Pre sense locking up the brakes?

Thank you, Scotty.

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. 

Sounds like you have a very nice motor. Don't know of any sloshing problems myself but then i have no experience of the A5. I would say that it's isn't normal for any car though. Been driving for 28 years and never had that issue. Again I've can not help with your second problem but I definitely would not expect a year old car to have any issue. Hopefully someone else will help 

Welcome to the forum Scotty, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Could the sloshing sound be fuel in the tank? I ask this I've had this experience in a Ford kuga before when I had a full tank. Just seeing if it only happens when your fuel tank is full.

Or could there be water in the wheel well? 

What have Audi said? 

Cheers

Steve

Hi, thanks for your replies!

I have looked into this myself and the local dealer. I have a post here: forum post

The car is totally dry as confirmed by myself and Audi and they narrowed it down to the fuel tank. This developed a month ago and was fine for the first 6 months since new.

As the dealers car does it too (they only have one of the same model) it must be a fault with the petrol fuel tanks.

Thank you, Scotty.

10 hours ago, ScottyA5 said:

Hi, thanks for your replies!

I have looked into this myself and the local dealer. I have a post here: forum post

The car is totally dry as confirmed by myself and Audi and they narrowed it down to the fuel tank. This developed a month ago and was fine for the first 6 months since new.

As the dealers car does it too (they only have one of the same model) it must be a fault with the petrol fuel tanks.

Thank you, Scotty.

Glad you got some form.of result Scotty. Have the dealers said they are going to do anything? 

As I say I've experienced this on full tanks of fuel in mk2 ford kugas. I just don't full up to a full tank very often anyway (long, long journeys only) 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, 

I only ever put £30 at a time in. The dealers are not going to do anything because they say it is characteristic of the car... The character developed only 4 weeks ago and is not normal in my opinion.

Scotty.

23 hours ago, ScottyA5 said:

Hi Steve, 

I only ever put £30 at a time in. The dealers are not going to do anything because they say it is characteristic of the car... The character developed only 4 weeks ago and is not normal in my opinion.

Scotty.

Hmm, well £30 is approx half a tank and it's what I do too. I think the sloshing is often caused by the shape of the fuel tank and I don't think there is much that can be done in my opinion. My other advice would be to take it to another Audi dealer to get there opinion on it. 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

The thing is the car was spot on for the first 6 months and this only started around a month ago so there has to be a problem with the tank. The sloshing sound was confirmed by Audi in Hull as coming from the tank. I was told it sounded strange and is very audible so I thought it would be sorted out by now. The dealer only have one other car with the same spec as mine and that is an 18 plate and does it too. I just need to find more people with the same car spec and take it from there.

It's taken the shine off the car really as it should not do this. It literally sounds like a bucket of water in the rear passenger door. I've never had a car do this before and for this money it is really not on.

Thanks for your replies.

I can appreciate it's frustrating and something that shouldn't really happen with the amount of testing the cars get nowadays. 

You could always take it to another Audi dealer to see what suggestions/ideas they have. 

I think unless they change the tank I'm unsure what else Audi can do. But they should at least offer this. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Scott,

Sorry to hear of your issue, and it might be easier to stand back and look at the logic of this:- 

This issue was not present at the time of first registration, so cannot be considered to be a 'design' fault. 

The fact that the issue has occurred at some point in time after this, suggests that something has 'gone wrong', and whatever the cause, it should be investigated and corrected (it should not be your, or anyone else's responsibility to resolve it). 

Do not accept the fact that the dealer's other car does the same thing - yours didn't at one time, so.......!? 

If it were mine I should be writing ( the old fashioned letter by Recorded Delivery) to the head of the dealership and registering a formal complaint about  this issue and requesting they resolve it within a reasonable ( say 28 days) time. I would copy the Head of VAG Customer Services and if the car is on any finance agreement - copy them as well. Citizens Advise should help with a letter if necessary. 

One (possibly daft?) thing I would check is whether this noise is associated within water having found its way into the boot/hatch lid. 

Good luck in sorting this Scott, and could we ask if you would keep us posted on your progress. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.