A8 D2 Electrical problems Help Please

dakes55

I am having a few electrical problems on a 2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro that I have just bought, the car  had been standing unused in a garage for over 2 years and the battery was flat, so the first problem was that the car was not changing gears correctly, and when pulling away it seems like its pulling away in 2nd or 3rd gear and all the PNRDS are showing on the dashboard at the same time, but sometimes its ok and works fine with just the D showing when put into drive, it then changes gear as it should, it seems to be getting better the more i use the car, the second problem is that there are no dashboard lights showing anywhere on the dash or cluster, I have checked the cluster fuse in the yellow bank of fuses which is a 15 amp fuse and that's ok, is there anywhere I can get an electrical diagram from for this car, and can anyone tell me if there is a comfort module fitted to this car, if so where is it located.

Hello John,

Can we take it you have renewed the battery which as on the car during its 2 year + period of  disuse? 

In my experience, automatics do not take too well to long periods of lack of use, and I think you will find it could well improve further the more you use it. If it does, it might well be worthwhile thinking longer term to get the fluid and filter renewed anyway, but perhaps see how it goes for the next few hundred miles at least.

Electrical curcuits:- Fuses and fuse holders can suffer from a form of white corrosion due to condensation in long term storage, and if it were mine, I would be removing all the fuses one at a time, giving them and the holder a squirt of WD40 or similar, and refitting them with a wiggle! This should ensure you don't have any high contact resistance which can lead to problems. Not sure it will fix your cluster issue but at last you will have eliminated that possibility.

Kind regards,

Gareth.