Rear Brake Rattle Problem

dakes55

I am gradually working through the problems with this 2002 Audi A8 D2 Quattro, and have an annoying problem with the drivers side rear brake pads rattling, I have taken the caliper off to check it and found that the pads have movement of around 8mm, im sure this is causing the problem, I cannot figure out why there is so much movement, I would have thought that there should be some anti rattle springs fitted or some sort of device to prevent the pads from moving, please see the picture of the type of pads fitted to the rear brakes of this car, any help or advice on this please.

ebc pads.jpg

Hello John,

It's probably me, but I'm not quite sure where you are measuring your 8 mm.

Are you saying the pads are 8mm too 'short' in the caliper? 

Perhaps you could let us know. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi, the movement on the pads is front to rear, some models have a spring to prevent the movement, i am starting to think that either the spring has fallen off or the previous owner put the wrong pads in, the reason i say this is because all the pads for my car should look nothing like the pads that are fitted in the calliper ?

This is getting more confusing as there seems to be 3 different types of rear pads available for my car, is there any way to check what brake make system is used on my car? my car is a 2002 2.8 Quattro with the alloy rear calipers.

Hello John,

Audi may - and it is a may- be able to advise you what the correct fitment pads are for your car, but I would think ECP and the rest of the aftermarket suppliers will want to know what make calipers are fitted to the car, and probably the disc dia, since it appears there were different fitments for this model year. 

If it were mine, I would be removing the wheel and noting the calliper make or numbers and using this information to find the correct pads. You just as well measure the disc dia. at the same time. 

If you are going to buy aftermarket pads then personally I would be using something like EBC rather than the once respected branded ones which are little more than bought out brand names. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

3 hours ago, dakes55 said:

I got this sorted now, the retaining springs had fallen off, thanks to every one for your input.

Glad you got this sorted :) at least you know the pads we're correct :)