Steering rack?

Sgroom

Hi I’ve  recently purchased my 2009 tfsi. It’s got a rather loud clicking/knocking noise when I’m turning the steering while while moving and while car is stood still. I’ve had a mechanic look at this and he think it’s the steering rack? I thought  the steering rack all computerised wouldn’t it flag up on the dash if there is a problem there? Was hopeing it was something less expensive :(. Any replies are all appreciated. 

Hello Shane,

Sorry to hear of your issue.

If it were mine I would be getting a second opinion on this before proceeding further. A good source might be a local Audi independent, or if not, then a good, trusted wheel alignment operator who should be experienced in checking for wear before carrying out adjustments ( obviously you will just need the checking for wear bit). 

They should have 'turntables' which minimise the load on the wheels as you turn them. Forba final confirmation, it would be advisable to disconnect the track rod ends and reassess for noise. This will eliminate the possibility that the noise may be associated with upper suspension mounts etc. 

Let us know how you get one Shane.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve got coilover going  on this weekend plus new droplinks and top mounts which will elimainted a new areas. I’m hopeing this solves it tbh. 

Do you know if the rack is electronic? Is it not linked to the dash? Would it not flag up if there was a problem? Thanks 

Have you ever heard of the Ackerman geometry effecting cars and making the tyres skip whilst turning? It can produce both vibration and knocking noises. Long shot but it might be worth a quick Google search, it appears to effect a great many different cars nowadays due to ever wider tyres. 

No computer in the car can detect every fault. If you have a knock you need to get it examined because it could be caused by innumerable problems: worn track rod ends, worn CV joints, worn steering joints, worn suspension mounts, loose steering rack, worn wheel bearings. The list is nearly endless.

• Like 1