Low Humming Noise Upon Acceleration

Benjamin

Good morning everyone,

I'm new, just joined and wanted just a little bit of help and guidance if I may. 

I have an A4 TDi SLine 190 2014 38K approx. on the clock.

So as of yesterday afternoon I noticed a low humming noise that was only apparent upon acceleration from stationary, through the gears and existing upon motorway driving at around 70 MPH; the low drone doesn't emit vibration or any loss of performance.

I am unfortunately one of those people that notices noises, I observe and sometimes fall victim to my own applied interest! I haven't noticed this noise before Sunday and to give complete transparency to the situation, the only possible contributing factor is that I hit a tonne twenty on my way home on an open 2 mile straight. (This was only for a couple of minutes or less) I didn't notice anything for the remainder of my journey either.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions? 

I have been told that tires are sometimes the cause but with 2 Continental Sport Contact 6's on the back, having done less that 2,000 miles and 2 Continental Sport Contact 5P's on the front with 4mm left, so I don't see that being an issue?

Winter service was completed January 2018, MOT completed this April and Long Life Service 20,000/2 years due next month.

Am I being overly conscious of the changing road conditions or is it worth getting it checked out?

Thank you in advance, your help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

BC

Welcome to the forum Benjamin, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I would think it's mechanical rather than tyres. Is the noise within the cabin or coming from the engine bay? 

Have you noticed if the noise occurrs if you rev the car in neutral?

Cheers

Steve

25 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Benjamin, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I would think it's mechanical rather than tyres. Is the noise within the cabin or coming from the engine bay? 

Have you noticed if the noise occurrs if you rev the car in neutral?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much and yes, I'm sure they are.

The noise is audible from the cabin but seems to originate from the lower passenger foot well area when I am driving; so could potentially be from the engine bay. I have had the passenger window down to listen but with no real conclusion reached! The low humming doesn't exist whilst idling or revving in neutral but gets increasingly 'louder' as the MPH increases. It does however, sit comfortably at 70-75 in 6th.  

I have checked for anything 'loose' but nothing visual can be identified underneath or from looking over the engine whilst running.

I hope that helps.

Thank you.

BC

1 minute ago, Steve Q said:

Hmm well I'm wondering if a tyre is rubbing on the wheel arch liner or other component? 

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply, I shall get it checked out where i normally go for tires & tracking and hopefully they can conclude or eliminate that prospect.

Without sounding obscene, I've had my A4 from new, it's been my pride and joy and with it, always serviced, maintained and looking after where applicable so (I'd like to think) it's nothing serious due to neglect on my part.

Thank you Steve, I'd get back in touch to report in due course.

Kind regards,

BC

5 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply, I shall get it checked out where i normally go for tires & tracking and hopefully they can conclude or eliminate that prospect.

Without sounding obscene, I've had my A4 from new, it's been my pride and joy and with it, always serviced, maintained and looking after where applicable so (I'd like to think) it's nothing serious due to neglect on my part.

Thank you Steve, I'd get back in touch to report in due course.

Kind regards,

BC

Please keep.us posted on how you get on :) 

I think when you've owned a car from new, I find you take a greater pride in it's condition. My a6 has been owned by my family from new and is impeccably maintained despite it being 16 years old. 

Cheers

Steve

Just now, Steve Q said:

Please keep.us posted on how you get on :) 

I think when you've owned a car from new, I find you take a greater pride in it's condition. My a6 has been owned by my family from new and is impeccably maintained despite it being 16 years old. 

Cheers

Steve

I will do and thank you once again for your replies, it's always good to gain a different perspective.

Exactly, I entirely agree! Apart from when you wash it weekly and can always identify new little stone chips or marks and thinking; HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?! The pain is real!

Enjoy your day.

BC

22 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I will do and thank you once again for your replies, it's always good to gain a different perspective.

Exactly, I entirely agree! Apart from when you wash it weekly and can always identify new little stone chips or marks and thinking; HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?! The pain is real!

Enjoy your day.

BC

Agreed! I'm like you and notice all the little noises and scratches etc. The garage thinks I'm crazy sometimes but I've always been proven right. 

Just glad we can help :) 

Cheers

Steve

UPDATE :

Further to this thread I created yesterday regarding the humming noise whilst driving, I had both front tyres replaced this morning for Continental Sport Contact 6's as the existing 5P's were both under 2.5mm.

Prior to this, my garage carried out a road test along with a comprehensive stethoscope test; the results were that the NSF wheel bearing was failing and required replacement in the very near future.

The OSF appeared to be in good condition and I was advised this only be replaced when applicable.

This has now been booked in with Audi M/D to be completed alongside my Long Life service and heating element re-call! (I'll collect the car in a week then ha!)

I'll keep you updated with the conclusion. In the meantime, could any of you advise if the OSF wheel bearing should be replaced as well? As I have heard various stories of changing pairs.

Thank you all in advance.

Kind regards,

BC

19 hours ago, Benjamin said:

UPDATE :

Further to this thread I created yesterday regarding the humming noise whilst driving, I had both front tyres replaced this morning for Continental Sport Contact 6's as the existing 5P's were both under 2.5mm.

Prior to this, my garage carried out a road test along with a comprehensive stethoscope test; the results were that the NSF wheel bearing was failing and required replacement in the very near future.

The OSF appeared to be in good condition and I was advised this only be replaced when applicable.

This has now been booked in with Audi M/D to be completed alongside my Long Life service and heating element re-call! (I'll collect the car in a week then ha!)

I'll keep you updated with the conclusion. In the meantime, could any of you advise if the OSF wheel bearing should be replaced as well? As I have heard various stories of changing pairs.

Thank you all in advance.

Kind regards,

BC

Glad you've had a result Benjamin :) and fingers crossed you'll.have some more happy, trouble free miles :)

Cheers

Steve