Spare key issue

Natmat

Hi all. My spare key has stopped working after replacing the battery,  it will still open the car but won’t start it.  Anyone now how to reprogramme the key or is it a visit to Audi

Car is 2012 A3 

Thanks 

Hello Matt,

Sorry to hear of your issue.

First probably daft question, but are you sure you have fitted the correct number battery as per the handbook and it has been fitted the right at up. I would certainly avoid Poundland specials! 

Let's say you have. If so, if you scan this and other forums you will find quite a few procedures on this to recode the second key from the first. 

Being pessimistic, I've tried them all without success, although my key will start the car, but not lock/unlock.

If you too don't have any luck then it's a trip to the dealer- or independent? , or even worth asking at your local used car site since these boys usually have their fingers on the pulse of knowing where to go.

Let us know how you get on Matt.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth. Thanks for you reply. I steered clear of the Poundland offering and did put a premium battery in  

I am going to take you advice and nip to one of the local dealers to see if they can help

thanks again

matt

Hello Matt,

If you didn't go for Poundland then we take it you have the correct number battery and it's been inserted correctly. 

Before going to the main dealer ( who are likely to extract around £70 out of your wallet) it might be worth trying the simple one of inserting the key in the ignition and turning it to postion 2 ( the one before the starter) five times, and on the fifth turn (ignition lights on) press the lock and unlock buttons, then switch off and try to start the car, or lock and unlock. 

Probably won't work, but it doesn't cost anything! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth.  No joy with the key I’m afraid.  It looks like its time to part with £85 

thanks for your help anyway 

Matt

Sorry, but not surprised to hear that Matt.

Always worth a go I guess though. I'm one step better off than you insofar as mine will actually start the car, but won't remotely lock/unlock, so I've decided to just live with that. 

Worth checking with any local VAG independents to see if they can do it cheaper?

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.

• 5 months later...

On 4/30/2018 at 9:00 AM, Magnet said:

Sorry, but not surprised to hear that Matt.

Always worth a go I guess though. I'm one step better off than you insofar as mine will actually start the car, but won't remotely lock/unlock, so I've decided to just live with that. 

Worth checking with any local VAG independents to see if they can do it cheaper?

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.

Might be the door actuator, I have same problem. Drivers side door don't open with fob but does with key, and starts the car, passenger side and boot still open off fob. So fob fine on mine leaves the actuator or loom short at door hinge on mine, sounds like could be yours too

The impression I had was that only the spare remote didn't work. I agree Craig, that if neither or any remote work , then it could be the (driver's door ) control module. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.