Creamy stuff around oil filler cap

Sashi

During winter season I noticed Creamy stuff around oil filler cap, I thought it needs engine head gasket replacement, but now it looks ok no creamy stuff I checked the coolant level is same, only the engine oil level goes down and every 2 to 3 months I have to topup.

anybody had seen the similar issue in your A3 2L TFSI? also why engine oil level goes down I can't see any leak.

Hi Sashi,

I had 06 2.0 TFSI A3 and remember having to top up the engine oil every 3-4 months. The car only being a year old when I brought it and covered around 7k miles a year.  As long as your car isn't consuming more than that I would say it's normal.

Creamy engine oil is a sign of water getting into the oil caused by gasket failure or moisture getting into the combustion chambers. Allow engine to warm up fully to stop the latter.

Hope this helps 👍

Hello Sashi,

Suspected head gasket issues is always a knee jerk reaction with emulsion around the filler cap, but this can be caused by short runs, inferior oil etc. 

If it were mine, I would now treat this to an oil and filter change. I use Quantum Longlife oil 5/30 , but you would need to check the recommended grade for yours. This brand oil is  VAG recommended. I either VAG or Mann filters. Make sure the oil is very hot before draining off. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

As Adam and Gareth have said, the creamy stuff is emulsion caused by water getting into the oil. How the water gets there has several causes: a faulty head gasket, condensation, fractured water gallery, faulty crankcase breather (if there is one,) are just some of them. I suggest you have the water system pressure tested as a first step.

Thanks for the reply. 

If water is getting into the engine due to gasket failure the coolant level should reduce right.. But coolant level is same.. I don't see the creamy layer in the cap now. During winter season I seen it now the weather is better I don't see the  creamy layer. 

Can I do the water system pressure test by myself? 

Hello Sashi,

I really don't want to counter any other advice given, because it's all sound in the long run. However, I'm from the school of doing simple things first, so personally, I wouldn't bother too much at the moment about doing a coolant system pressure test (no you cannot DIY this without the correct equipment). 

Interesting about this being a winter issue - makes sense.

When was the oil (and filter) last changed and what brand oil was used? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hello Gareth, 

Oil changed last October castrol Edge , I didn't change the oil filter at that time because it was hard and did not have the right tools to remove the filter

• Like 1