New RS4 running in

Padjo

HI

New to the forum and new RS4 owner for the last 3 weeks - couldn't resist it so cashed in my '13 A4 Allroad. Very pleased obvs but slightly confused about running in advice. Audi say drive below 3k rpm - my view (and reading some online stuff) is that it can be driven reasonably hard for short bursts (up to 5k rpm) within the first 1k miles as long as the engine is warmed up. General view is that the engine revs should be varied and that the engine should not be laboured for any period. But occasional revs is good because (forgive my lack of technical knowledge) supposedly applies even gas pressure to the piston rings which is good for bedding them in and prevents glazing or something like that. Also, some advice says that you should dump and renew the engine oil after 1k miles? Is that necessary?

Anyway, any advice gratefully received. Want to make sure she (Beryl the Peril as she's already been named in the family) has the best possible start in life - she is going to be busy - two dogs, children, shopping, canoes, surf boards, owner having mid life crisis etc. etc.

BTW Daytona Grey, 19" alloys (thought they were better looking than the 20" and slightly better ride) , sports exhaust (rude not to), privacy glass, memory seats (other half drives it during the week) and currently 450 joyous miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Peter, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

sounds like you've got a lovely rs4 🙂

usually engines are pre run in but I wouldn't be doing harsh starts or thrashing it got approx 3-5k miles to be on the safe side. 

cheers

Steve

Hello Peter,

It's really refreshing to hear of owners having respect for the way these mechanical devices are best treated to give them a good start in life and ensure they continue to give good service for many years to come.

If it were mine, but owning up to having been motoring since Adam was a babe in arms, I have always found gentle treatment for the first 1000 miles pays dividends, and Audi's 3000 rpm would appear good advice. Occasional bursts to 5000rpm within this period?? - 120mph in top gear? Wouldn't be for me. Yes occasional burst, but to a max. of 4K would seem more than adequate. Good point in not labouring - very detrimental. 

Gradually stretching its performance legs after the first 1K miles sounds good.

It might be worth bearing in mind that ....'as long as the engine is warmed up' ........ is usually thought of as being up to 'normal' on the coolant temperature gauge. However, the engine does not reach its optimum operating conditions until the oil is also up to temperature, and this generally does not happen until about 10 miles have been covered on a journey. 

Enjoy the car Peter. Treat it well, and with respect - as you would do with the lady in your life (am I allowed to say that theses days!?) and it will then look after you well for years to come. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Sorry for delayed response - thanks guys for your kind words. Beryl is just incredible - noticeably getting faster and begging to be driven fast. Truely an amazing car - so pleased I bought her. Probably shouldn't show my plates, but here she is

car1.JPG

car2.JPG

Stunning looking car and probably my favourite colour.

Ref running in I've never done it for years as most if not all mainstream cars are fine from the factory, I never rev cars from cold etc. regardless anyway but I expect it will be a different thing for what is essentially a supercar. I would have a read of the handbook and failing that I'd call Audi UK tech dept and ask for them to email you something.

21 hours ago, Padjo said:

Sorry for delayed response - thanks guys for your kind words. Beryl is just incredible - noticeably getting faster and begging to be driven fast. Truely an amazing car - so pleased I bought her. Probably shouldn't show my plates, but here she is

car1.JPG

car2.JPG

Wow it's stunning 🙂 soubds like you've got a lovely moter 🙂

cheers

Steve

Thanks all. She is just such a lovely car to drive - composed, assured and when you need it, supercar quick - puts a smile on my face every time I get in. It's intriguing to see people's reaction to seeing her. I'd say 80% of people think she's just a smart looking estate which is great for keeping a low profile. 20% of people and petrol heads (hate that term but you know what I mean) recognise the marque and are fascinated - I was quizzed in our town car park the other day by someone who wanted to know every last detail - their enthusiasm was palpable. Maybe its because this is the latest model and only recently released but for those in the know the RS badge seems to engender an almost reverential interest.

It's the first brand new car (usually buy forecourt under 10k mile cars) I've every bought and by far the most powerful (and most expensive!!). I did lots of research (reviews, vloggers etc.) and I have not regretted it for one minute- only problem is I feel i could never drive anything else that is also so capable.

Anyway, I'll sign off now as I fear I going on a bit - I think I'm obsessed at the moment.  

I'd be weary of people asking too many questions, a friend had his A6 Allroad in a pub car park whilst he visited (he owns a few) later that evening as he got home he was robbed on his driveway of some cash, luckily it was only a small amount.

On reviewing the pub cctv someone with a dog kicked a ball underneath his car in the car park and whilst faffing underneath for the ball had placed a tracking device under it (later removed by the police) he was lucky they didn't harm him (he's 70) but they were very threatening. This could also have been so easy (and common) for them to come and take his car.

• 5 months later...
On 5/17/2018 at 12:58 PM, Magnet said:

It might be worth bearing in mind that ....'as long as the engine is warmed up' ........ is usually thought of as being up to 'normal' on the coolant temperature gauge. However, the engine does not reach its optimum operating conditions until the oil is also up to temperature, and this generally does not happen until about 10 miles have been covered on a journey. 

Hi, regarding the optimum warm up temperature before one drives the car hard, does the virtual cockpit provide this temperature or is it simply the coolant temp only?  I hope I'm not hijacking the thread and congratulations on the beautiful car. 

• 8 months later...