HUD Display looks scratched ie like foil

Dean0

Hello all 

New to this forum. I have a audi 7 sportback with the HUD Display. When on it looks like the white digits are scratched. The only way to describe it is that when on it looks like a peice of foil has been crumpled up laid flat and then the speed illuminated on it. Sorry for crap explanation it's the 9nly way to describe it. Can anyone tell me why it's like this and how to rectify. Thanks in advance. Dean

Welcome to the forum Dean, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

I'm guessing you've had a look to see if cleaning the area helps? 

Hi Steve

Thanks, yes I've used a damp cloth to wipe the HUD plastic screen down then dried it with tissue removing the water marks. I've turned the display up to its fullest to see if that helps but it doesn't. The lights don't flicker it's just like looking at crinckled foil. It's the only way to describe the look of the display projected.

Edited by Dean0

Hmm, well I've heard of a flickering HUD screen but nothing like this before. You won't like me saying this but you will probably have to make a trip to Audi. 

I did try googling the symptoms but with no success I'm affraid. Sorry. 

I thought I might have to. I will seek the advice from Audi and come back on with the findings including the cost of repair and hopefully have a better description of the problem.

Thanks for your welcome.

7 hours ago, Dean0 said:

I thought I might have to. I will seek the advice from Audi and come back on with the findings including the cost of repair and hopefully have a better description of the problem.

Thanks for your welcome.

Yes, please keep us posted on how you get on as I'm sure it'll help other members in the future. 

Just remember that Audi diagnostic charge is £60 if you decide not to get the work carried out there. 

Cheers

Steve

I have had 3 Audi with a HUD. The windscreen must be clean and scratch free both inside and out in the area of the projected info. Dust can get into the projector area . You may want to look at the HUD settings in the MMI but if none of these are the problem then a trip to Audi is called for

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert thanks for your comment.

It's a not the windscreen I can safely say that. It's looking like the mirror inside the HUD is cracked that's how it looks while seated in the drivers seat looking at the windscreen. It looks like a crumpled up peice of flat foil in the day light which is easily visible when the sun is out. It's not the plastic covering the HUD (The part you can touch with your hand) it's below that I think.

• 2 years later...

Buongiorno a tutti. Ho anch'io lo stesso problema. L'immagine proiettata nel vetro è disturbata come se ci fosse un'increspatura. Recandomi allesterno dell'auto e guardando all'interno dell'head up display si nota, nel riflesso del parabrezza, una sorta di arricciatura presente dello specchio interno del dispositivo. In audi mi hanno chiesto circa 1400 euro per la sostituzione dell'intero display. Qualcuno ha risolto diversamente? 

On 5/11/2018 at 6:53 AM, Dean0 said:

Hi Robert thanks for your comment.

It's a not the windscreen I can safely say that. It's looking like the mirror inside the HUD is cracked that's how it looks while seated in the drivers seat looking at the windscreen. It looks like a crumpled up peice of flat foil in the day light which is easily visible when the sun is out. It's not the plastic covering the HUD (The part you can touch with your hand) it's below that I think.

Hi There,  Did you ever find the solution to the issue with your Heads up Display showing like foil?  Was it the mirror cracked inside? Did you have to have it replaced?  Thank you, Melissa

Hi, I would also be grateful to understand how this worked out as my 2016 A7 Black Edition has same issue, initially thought it was condensation in the unit but it’s got worse over last couple of months, looks like crumpled tinfoil and projected image on windscreen is completely obscured.

Many Thanks

• 9 months later...
On 3/20/2021 at 1:42 AM, Ian Tag said:

Hi, I would also be grateful to understand how this worked out as my 2016 A7 Black Edition has same issue, initially thought it was condensation in the unit but it’s got worse over last couple of months, looks like crumpled tinfoil and projected image on windscreen is completely obscured.

Many Thanks

Have a look through this thread (Register to see the images):

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/184679-Replacing-Head-Up-Display

It explains the issue and a place that recoats the mirror.

It happened to my A7 and is a VERY fiddly job without removing the windscreen!