Management light, EGR, Coil light, DPF

Allanmania

So I have a 2011 Audi A3. I have been driving it for the last 3 years do about 15,000pa and service regularly.

A month ago my Engine Management light popped on and then the coil light flashing.

I took it in to Arnold Clark expecting a quick fix and to be on my way.. Arnold Clark did the diagnostic and politly told me it would be £1129 to fit a new EGR valve.

Now I dont know about you guys but I dont have £1129 lying around so I went on "mycarneedsa" and got a quote from a local garage of £650.

Result.... car spent over a week the garage replaced the EGR valve twice but when I got my car back both lights still on and no power "limp mode" I think someone called it. He said he didnt know what was wrong with it and gave me a number of another garage.

So into third garage. Which I forgot to mention the Exhaust light was now on as well. So third garage fixes the DPF at £72.00 drive round the corner Management light back on and coil light back on.

So third garage has now said EGR valve needs replaced. at the cost of £425....

I havent put it in yet and I am still driving the car with the lights on ( no doubt meaning another DPF clean next week)

Just wondered if anyone else has known of this issue and could advise.

Many thanks

Allan.

I can't give any specific advice regarding your problem, but I have to say that the increasing complexity of modern cars is leading me to believe there are no cheap fixes anymore. The days of simple diagnosis and cheap repairs ended with simple engine designs. Forty years ago as an amateur self taught mechanic I could diagnose and repair any engine fault, but now even a manufacturer trained mechanic in a fully equipped garage can only plug it into a computer, and from what I read on this forum the resulting fault codes are open to wide interpretation. Sorry I can not be more optimistic. Perhaps others here can be more helpful.

4 hours ago, Allanmania said:

Now I dont know about you guys but I dont have £1129 lying

feel your pain m8 with living costs raising and wages not its hard to find spare cash available 

Thanks guys,

Just to update. I have spoken to the guy at the third garage. He advised the replacement of the EGR valve. When I explained to him this had already been done (I did explain when I dropped the car off but seems lack of communication) he said he needed to have another look at the car. So back in it goes on the 24th May. In the meantime am driving it with the lights on. no doubt it will require yet another DPF clean by the time it goes in to get looked at.

• 2 weeks later...

Had same problem with mine, dpf was fully blocked, I would go down the dpf remove and egr delete, car would then have to be remapped total cost is between £350-£500. Never had a problem since 

2 hours ago, Martyn85 said:

dpf remove

under new MOT rules any vehicle with a tampered or removed DPF  will fail its MOT a new DPF will need to be fitted if you fail and thats not cheap

4. Diesel vehicle emissions
There are now stricter limits for emissions from diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

You must test vehicles to the manufacturer’s plate value (when present), or a new lower default limit for newer vehicles.

You must also give a major fault if you:

can see smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust
find evidence that the DPF has been tampered with

So the update so far... I have to phone back tomorrow afternoon.

The garage have done a regeneration as the Exhaust light has came back on. Which was obvious as I have been driving in limp mode.

Hes going to check the electrics (which the previous garage already did btw) if its not that then hes saying its the ECU sending the wrong signal?

Update you guys tomorrow but I have a feeling I still wont have a working Audi A3....

Frustrated!

So the garage have identified another valve that is well known to fail... Sorry I cant remember what he called it.

They have been waiting on delivery of the part which arrived today.

Car is booked in for Friday. Fingers crossed.

So car went in on the Friday 1st June to get that valve fitted... Still not working properly so he narrowed it down to a couple of wires something about they are fluctuating from 3V to 7V when they should be at a steady 5V. Anyway on Saturday evening he called to say they still couldnt find the issue. He sent away the ECU on Monday so hoping to hear later this week. He hasnt mentioned cost so far 🙈..

Another week with no car... I have been looking at an A5 or a TT for my next car but this is seriously putting me off..

This is dragging on m8, how much has this cost you so far? if it was me i would want to know just how much its costing so far or you could be in for a shock 

• 1 year later...
Guest fubar77

me thinks your car is the updated 8P, so it is different to mine, however a friend of mine has the updated 8P with the Particulate Filter and he had similar issues. He had an engine warning light on with a coil light and his display was showing the DPF. All this information is indicating an emissions fault. The emissions circuit includes (1) the MAF Sensor (also check for air leaks), (2) the Lambda Sensors (one fore and aft of the Catalytic Converter, (3) the EGR Valve (£30 off eBay, fit it yourself in 30minutes), (4) the throttle body (located under the EGR which is a programmable system. Limp mode is activated at the throttle body to preserve the functionality of the entire system. Its a fail-safe. Gud Luk