Please refuel?

WPAWS

Ok so i put £40 worth of fuel in the car, drove off and tank showing half full with 225 miles in the tank, park up the car at home. about 3 hours later use car for a spot of shopping fuel gauge stays at empty and display is saying please refuel with 0 miles remaining.

checked the obvious no fuel spill under the car, car still drives so fuel system is working.

pulled the fuel fuse and replaced still no difference 

worrying as i have a about 380 miles to cover tomorrow and i dont want to guess my fuel any suggestions please

ran vcds and its thrown back this fault

1 Fault Found:
00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G) 
            010 - Open or Short to Plus

So your quattro has 2 fuel senders ... 90% of the time its not the sender that fails. You need to yank the bench out. Under there on passenger side there is a plate hold by 3 screws , undo that. Get some contact cleaner from halfords and unpug the wirring harness clean and plug back. If this does not help then let me know there is a stage 2 to this repair 🙂

so just got back from Chesterfield 🙂 about half way my fuel gauge and miles to go display kicked back into life so i`m a happy bunny had to pop another £20 in the tank for return trip but all seems to be working ok 

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, niedzial1983 said:

So your quattro has 2 fuel senders ... 90% of the time its not the sender that fails. You need to yank the bench out. Under there on passenger side there is a plate hold by 3 screws , undo that. Get some contact cleaner from halfords and unpug the wirring harness clean and plug back. If this does not help then let me know there is a stage 2 to this repair 🙂

@niedzial1983

started to happen again as you say, i cleaned connector with contact cleaner but still no gauge whats stage 2 please 

was this the connector i was meant to mine is on drivers side passenger side is just a round white plate

20180808_162551.jpg

3 hours ago, Paul A6 said:

@niedzial1983

started to happen again as you say, i cleaned connector with contact cleaner but still no gauge whats stage 2 please 

was this the connector i was meant to mine is on drivers side passenger side is just a round white plate

20180808_162551.jpg

You need to undo the plastic ring and take out the sender . There is a connector there that need cleaning or cutting out and solder the cables